• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain in adjacent tooth after extraction

R

rocky44

Greetings Everyone! I have a issue, a very painful one! Two years ago I had #5 filled due to a cavity and #4 had a slight one beginning that I was supposed to had filled shortly after #5 but I never went back and the tooth over the past two years slowly started breaking apart but it was never sensitive to hot or cold, only occasional pain. Saturday morning I was anxious but knew I needed to get it fixed or pulled. The cavity had gone to far so he extracted #4 ,besides the shots which triggered my anxiety all went well, that evening the numbness was gone and I had a bottle of cold water and it sent horrible excruciating pain up my jaw which I found odd, Sunday morning I had my morning coffee and it did the same so I figured either I had a dry socket or the adjacent tooth had some sort of trauma. Today I went back to my dentist, told him my issue but could not pinpoint if it was the adjacent tooth or the extraction site and he said it had a nice clot and was not a dry socket, no sign of infection and did not see a reason I'm having this sensitivity to hot/cold liquids after inspecting my teeth, I told him I had zero issues prior to the extraction with hot or cold, he said it was just coincidence and not related to the extraction but possibly sinus related or another tooth? This evening I touched #5 with my tongue and had pain, even lightly touching a certain spot with my finger creates pain like it is pressure sensitive, the tooth also feels a bit jagged or chipped but I'm not positive it is though. I used a mirror to see if there was a cavity but did not see anything. Not sure if this will go away or what to do, it's hard to even be out in the cold air without radiating pain and my dentist was not really concerned. Today will be day 5 since the extraction with no change. Any suggestions or tips? I don't want to go back again and have to get more shots to a already sore gums

Last edited:
It could be that your tooth is getting hit more with your bite after the extraction, and that is making it more sensitive. Hopefully that is resolved by now, sometimes it takes a while for things to settle down. But don't hesitate to go for a second opinion if you are still troubled and don't feel you are getting good answers.

Thank you, it took 5-6 days after the extraction for the pain to go away. It hurt so bad I was going to get the adjacent tooth pulled but glad I toughed it out

Back