• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pain in upper gum since tooth taken out.

S

Suzie

I had a tooth out 6 months ago because of infection, but I'm still getting pain in the gum above where the tooth was and in the cheek. It was a top back tooth that had a abscess in it for some. The dentist said there was a sinus in the gum. The gum is sensitive when I chew especially if any thing sharp catches and the cheek hurts when I lie down. I did ask if the tooth behind it was OK as there was a dreadful cracking noise when the tooth came out but was told it was OK. I have not been back to the dentist hoping that it will settle. I'm worried that he pushed a bit of the tooth into the sinus as he couldn't be sure it all came out during the extraction.

Should I go see the a dentist or is it something that will settle?

It would be worth getting it looked at, 6 months is a while to wait for something to settle down.

Thank you for your reply Gordon. I know 6 months is a long time, but I did go back a week after I had the tooth taken out because I was getting toothache in the tooth behind the space. The dentist told me there was a lot of bruising and that the gums in the gap had healed. I don't want to be a nuisance.

What could it be? I'm sorry Gordon I'm feeling very nervous about this.

It most probably is a boney spicule working its way out. Kind of hard to tell without seeing you though :)

I went along to the dentist. He thinks it might be to do with my sinus. There might be a tiny hole between the mouth and the sinus that is causing the bad taste, either that or the wisdom tooth behind it, which never came through.

He's referring me to the dental hospital. I honestly don't think he knows whats going on. Oh crumbs!.

Back