• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain on entire right side, top and bottom, after temp crown placement

M

MrsKC

Hello ... I am in such distress and need some assistance. In 2007 I started going to the dentist regularly ... again ... after having not gone for a very long time. It took a lot of courage but I finally managed. I have had a lot of work done ( including all four wisdom teeth removed, numerous root canals, fillings, and large old fillings removed and replaced with crowns, etc ). Two weeks ago I had a large filling removed on my right, top, all the way in the back as my hygienist and dentist saw a tiny bit of decay on the xray. For some reason I was really worried about this and just knew it would not got well. The past couple of years none of my dental work has been easy it seems. I also suffer from tmj disfunction.

But I had it done, it was quick and for the first week all seemed well. No sensitivity, biting pressure was fine, and very little residual discomfort from the crown preparation. However, about 10 days later I started to get discomfort from the upper tooth next to the temp crowned tooth. And then it spread to the next two teeth up top. And then this week to the teeth on the bottom. I am unable to eat anything other than soup, mashed pots, etc for there will be great discomfort. If I do eat something that sets it off two advil and about an hour later it settles again to where it is not that bad. My question is could all of this discomfort be because my bite is off or is something worse going on here? I feel like the temp crown is not too high. I am really confused because I have never experienced this much pain/discomfort before from dental work and I was fine before this work was done.

I go back in a few days to get the permanent and obviously will discuss this with my dentist. Any help would be appreciated. AND yes my TMJ is suffering spasms but nothing worse than usual ( before the work was done ).

Yes. If your bite is off it can cause a lot of discomfort with your teeth and jaw. A bite adjustment is very easy and quick to do. An x-ray of the roots of the tooth (periapical) would be helpful to make sure that there isn't any infection starting around the tooth. Before your permanent crown is cemented your dentist should make sure that the tooth has calmed down.

Yes. If your bite is off it can cause a lot of discomfort with your teeth and jaw. A bite adjustment is very easy and quick to do. An x-ray of the roots of the tooth (periapical) would be helpful to make sure that there isn't any infection starting around the tooth. Before your permanent crown is cemented your dentist should make sure that the tooth has calmed down.

Thank you for the quick response. If it is determined by my dentist that it is the bite causing all of this pain/discomfort would it take a long time, after the adjustment, to see relief ? Several days at least, I am guessing?

I have found immediate relief after a bite adjustment

I have found immediate relief after a bite adjustment

Thank you. Just one more day and I finally go back to the dentist. I am really in so much pain/discomfort and still only able to eat a little bit of soft foods. I hope that it is my bite being off. I noted the first week with the temp crown that it did feel like most of the right side of my mouth was hiting hard; almost like I was chomping or slamming my teeth together. That is why I thought it was my bite. This week a few teeth on the left, at the back, have started to ache as well but not as bad as the right. I pray I will get relief quickly because frankly I am miserable this way.

This just feeds into my dental anxiety because I was fully expecting a problem and boy did I get it. This is the worst discomfort I have ever felt with dental work and now of course I am feeling it will never get better :(

is it better now? did the bite adjustment help?

is it better now? did the bite adjustment help?

Thank you for inquiring :) ... Well, I went back to the dentist this morning and told him what was going on. Before taking of the temporary he checked my bite and thought it seemed okay. He checked the teeth in question, which is the whole right side, and found nothing horrible at this point. He decided to put the permanent crown on and to check and adjust my bite as needed. He double and triple checked it, taking off a bit of the crown that was a little high. He wants to see if this will help to settle down the right side of my mouth. The crown does feel like it fits nicely at this point but so did the temp crown when I first got it. I must say when it was putting on the crown I was in a lot of pain on the right side, the same pain I have been experiencing for almost two weeks. That did settle down again after two advil.

My dentist told me to give it a few days and if I still do not feel well he will prescribe some antibiotics. He is concerned that an infection I have on the bottom right ( a failed rtc on my first molar) is acting up again. I had previously taken antibiotics for this almost two years ago and it had been under control. So I wait and see for the next couple of days to see what happens. I was still in great discomfort after dinner tonight ( again a soft dinner ). But as always two advil and an hour later I was feeling 80% better. Very odd. I don't know what to think know. Infection or what? My husband wants me to get the antibiotics and I am leaning in that direction. Would an infection on the bottom cause my whole right side to ache so much? It did not when it first acted up. I am so confused and exhausted from this pain. :(

antibiotics cant hurt.

Also I have heard many times when I had my temps and was in pain, that tempoaries can have issues with fit and not being really smooth causing discomfort. hopefully the perm. crown will solve the issues you have been having.

antibiotics cant hurt.

Also I have heard many times when I had my temps and was in pain, that tempoaries can have issues with fit and not being really smooth causing discomfort. hopefully the perm. crown will solve the issues you have been having.

Well I am on day three with the permanent crown and I still can not eat anything without setting off the entire right side of my mouth. So I called my dentist this afternoon and he is prescribing antibiotics ( my third time on antibiotics since October 2012). I am hoping that the antibiotics work and that way we will at least have some idea why I am in such agony. Oddly last night after two advil I felt great for the next 20 hours or so. I try to only take two advil a day and that is with my dinner to help the aching. I have been lucky that it settles down within an hour after the advil. I am so scared that eventually it will not settle and I will be in agony non stop. UGH, I just knew something was gonna happen when I got this filling replaced. Now there is only one part of my entire mouth that doesn't bother me from time to time. I give up :(

Just a followup in case anyone is dealing with the same issue. I was on antibiotics for a week. I feel about 70% better however there is still some residual sensitivity. One thing that has gone away is the aching that was brought on by eating anything. I am able to eat now without both the top and bottom becoming sore but there is still some residual sensitivity so I am still careful what I eat.

The biggest issue now seems to be the actual tooth that was worked on and the one next to it. IN regards to the newly crowned tooth, I can eat most foods with it but eating anything hard ( cookies, crackers, etc ) is painful. Also it is still cold sensitive but that might be getting a bit better. Also, the bottom failed rtc is still somewhat painful and very sensitive to cold. It does seem like things are getting a better but now I am worried about the tooth that was worked on. I am hoping that the bite is off just a tiny bit and that will help to finally settle down that tooth. My dentist was very careful about adjusting my bite so why the pain when biting on anything hard?

Wow this has been an exhausting ordeal and all over just one tooth. :(

Just a followup in case anyone is dealing with the same issue. I was on antibiotics for a week. I feel about 70% better however there is still some residual sensitivity. One thing that has gone away is the aching that was brought on by eating anything. I am able to eat now without both the top and bottom becoming sore but there is still some residual sensitivity so I am still careful what I eat.

The biggest issue now seems to be the actual tooth that was worked on and the one next to it. IN regards to the newly crowned tooth, I can eat most foods with it but eating anything hard ( cookies, crackers, etc ) is painful. Also it is still cold sensitive but that might be getting a bit better. Also, the bottom failed rtc is still somewhat painful and very sensitive to cold. It does seem like things are getting a better but now I am worried about the tooth that was worked on. I am hoping that the bite is off just a tiny bit and that will help to finally settle down that tooth. My dentist was very careful about adjusting my bite so why the pain when biting on anything hard?

Wow this has been an exhausting ordeal and all over just one tooth. :(

You didn't update after taking antibiotics. How's your pain now ?
I am in the same situation after temporary bridge fixed over missing tooth with other two teeth support.. Please update. Please update how your pain controlled.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Sometimes it takes a bit of time for things to settle down after having work done. Let your dentist know how you are feeling and ask them to give you something for the pain or advise you the best thing to take. I have a couple of bridges and have had no pain with the temp or the permanent ones. You need to sort the pain issue out before getting the treatment completed.

Has you dentist taken an x ray or the area to make sure there isn't something happening under the gum? :butterfly:

You didn't update after taking antibiotics. How's your pain now ?
I am in the same situation after temporary bridge fixed over missing tooth with other two teeth support.. Please update. Please update how your pain controlled.

HI ... I have responded to your private message. As Carole said above, sometimes it does take time for work to settle down. I was starting to think I was never going to feel better but I finally did. It took about two weeks for the worst of the pain to subside. I do still have an ache now and again but nothing like what I was experiencing.
Part of my issue I believe, and what caused my periodontal ligaments to become inflamed, is that i have a bridge on the bottom that has been filed down several times and is now somewhat flat. MY bite being off just a tiny bit caused the pain and inflammation.

I hope you are feeling better. Please update and if you have any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Back