• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

pain, swollen gum and bleeding when flossing?

R

RaptorZX3

Well i think some of you may remember me...

Since yesterday, one of my lower left molars decided to start giving me pain, but i don't know the cause of it.

I know it might be in the area of one of my deepest molars.

I noticed the gum seem to be swollen around the area between those 2 molars. Then at some point i decided to go and floss my teeth (i don't do it often). So it began to bleed, sometimes more, sometimes less. And sometimes after flossing and some bleeding, i do gargles to rinse off the blood, the water is a little colored, and sometimes 1 or 2 little "bits" of blood can be seen, not "stringy" but more like a little blood part that wouldn't really mix with the water, unless i go and press with my finger on it in the bathroom sink.

It's important to say that i don't have my wisdom teeth anymore. The last molar have a big filling on it, maybe a year or two ago, a corner of it broke, but the dentist said it can still be repaired. Then the next molar beside it have a Root Canal on it, and it's usually sensitive to pressure (the ligaments are), so i do try to not chew harder things on that side much...

But nevertheless, the gum seem to be swollen around the area between those 2 molars, with redness on the inside. It give me some pain sometimes, and ibuprofen nor naproxen seem to help with that pain.

"Normal" pain doesn't really got me with a swollen part of the gum like this. The dentist and hygienist often tell me that my gum are a little inflammed.

The swollen area of the gum in question is swollen on the outside of the gum only, it doesn't seem to be swollen on the inside. I would post a picture of that here, but i know it must be a bit too graphic for some here.

Do you think it would normally go down after a while? What should i do? Do i really need to go see the dentist for that?

i can't edit my first post...(problem on the forum maybe, i don't know...)

But it may be important to say that i went to see the dentist not so long ago (about 3 or 4 weeks ago), for a problem about pain NOT involving swollen gum like that. They did a panoramic x-ray, and the dentist said there's no cavity. He did told me it's most likely ligaments around the molar which have a root canal, and to try to chew on the other side and not use that tooth for a while.

What could cause swollen gum in a particular area?

After waking up, it seem to be more back to normal now. But the pain is there sometimes, probably the ligaments from the root-canaled tooth...

it doesn't seem to bleed now when i floss.

But i do have some momentory pain sometimes on that root-canal molar, hoping it'll settle down. And yes i'm more careful to not eat harder stuff on that molar, at least i'm trying not to as much as possible...

Back