• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Panicking about getting cavities filled

C

coupondiva827

I was so proud of myself for making it to the dentist yesterday but I feel like I am back to square 1. I need to get a cavity in my upper wisdom tooth filled, then I need to get a filling replaced in a lower molar

Im kind of okay with the wisdom tooth filling but am terrified of the lower filling replacement. When I originally got the tooth filled, I went to a prick of a dentist who told me two shots of novacane was enough for a woman and didnt listen to me when I said I was in pain. At one point he looked at me and said "yeah, that looked like it hurt." (just a little background so you can understand why Im flipping out). If you guys dont mind, Im going to list exactly what Im afraid of any maybe somebody can help.

1. Im afraid this tooth wont get numb and I'll be in the pain I was last time.
2. Im afraid the needle is going to hurt.
3. I have been getting some jaw pain underneath the jaw under that tooth. Im petrified he is going to find an infection and tell me the tooth has to come out since I cant afford a root canal. I have no sensitivity (in fact I ate ice cream on that side last night to check for sensitivity and was okay, but just because Im so paranoid, I starting taking leftover antibiotics I had on hand)
4. Im afraid of the post filling sensitivity. When I got this tooth filled last time, I tried eating a grill cheese and screamed in pain.
5. Im afraid of having my entire mouth numb since the fillings are on opposite sides. Im afraid I wont be able to breathe with a numb mouth (sounds stupid, I know but anytime I feel like there is anything obstructing my breathing, I freak out)

The dentist also said he would fix some chips in my teeth from grinding. He said there will be no drilling involved. I'm just afraid the color wont be a perfect match and it will look stupid (I have a tiny chip on my front tooth that never bothered me)

The dentist said he was going to call in some valium even though I told him it doesnt work on my anxiety. I havent decided if I want to take it, knowing it wont relax me and was wondering if there were any herbal alternatives. I have GABA and valerian root at home and access to a GNC if anybody can recommend something.

Oh yeah, thanks to a lack of babysitter, my 4 year old son will be with me and DH. DS is actually awesome when it comes to squemish stuff, he comes with me every month when I get injections in my back but Im afraid Im going to cry or something and make him afraid of the dentist. (yes, I am fine with multiple injections in my back but the dentist scares the crap out of me)

Hi Coupondiva

You are right to be proud of yourself, well done you!! :welldone:

Whilst I am not a dentist, these are my observations based upon being on the receiving end of similar procedures recently:

1. Concerning not getting numb, this is a problem I have had in the past on bottom teeth (for some reason unbeknown to me my bottom teeth are "wired" differently :confused:) and I would mention it to your dentist as they can modify the type of Anaesthetic, amount and the waiting time for it to take effect. Modern dentistry should be able to take account of this but you need to either tell your dentist or write to him/her if you are too preoccupied, if the dentist knows they will be able to help.

2. Most dentists are able to inject pretty much painlessly nowadays by using a numbing gel on the injection site beforehand and by injecting very carefully and slowly; in fact last time I had a local anaesthetic (about 4 months ago) I wasn't aware I had been injected until it was over :)

3. I think it would be worth talking to your dentist about this, chances are they will have spotted anything untoward on the X Ray at your first visit unless you are very unlucky this is probably not a problem but worth checking with the experts.

4. Post filling sensitivity really depends upon the filling type (I was told by my dentist yesterday that Composite (tooth coloured) fillings take a little time to settle than the grey amalgam ones) and also how deep they are drilled but generally it's something that I find I can cope with by taking over the counter meds if necessary and using a sensitive toothpaste in that area for a short time.

5. again I would talk to your dentist, if they know this is a problem for you they could give you a different anaesthetic such as a short acting or more localised or you could ask to do the 2 sides on different days, it depends upon what you think, after all you are the customer and therefore you are in control;)

Hope the above helps, you are doing amazingly, much respect :respect:

I was so proud of myself for making it to the dentist yesterday but I feel like I am back to square 1. I need to get a cavity in my upper wisdom tooth filled, then I need to get a filling replaced in a lower molar

Im kind of okay with the wisdom tooth filling but am terrified of the lower filling replacement. When I originally got the tooth filled, I went to a prick of a dentist who told me two shots of novacane was enough for a woman and didnt listen to me when I said I was in pain. At one point he looked at me and said "yeah, that looked like it hurt." (just a little background so you can understand why Im flipping out). If you guys dont mind, Im going to list exactly what Im afraid of any maybe somebody can help.

1. Im afraid this tooth wont get numb and I'll be in the pain I was last time.
2. Im afraid the needle is going to hurt.
3. I have been getting some jaw pain underneath the jaw under that tooth. Im petrified he is going to find an infection and tell me the tooth has to come out since I cant afford a root canal. I have no sensitivity (in fact I ate ice cream on that side last night to check for sensitivity and was okay, but just because Im so paranoid, I starting taking leftover antibiotics I had on hand)
4. Im afraid of the post filling sensitivity. When I got this tooth filled last time, I tried eating a grill cheese and screamed in pain.
5. Im afraid of having my entire mouth numb since the fillings are on opposite sides. Im afraid I wont be able to breathe with a numb mouth (sounds stupid, I know but anytime I feel like there is anything obstructing my breathing, I freak out)

The dentist also said he would fix some chips in my teeth from grinding. He said there will be no drilling involved. I'm just afraid the color wont be a perfect match and it will look stupid (I have a tiny chip on my front tooth that never bothered me)

The dentist said he was going to call in some valium even though I told him it doesnt work on my anxiety. I havent decided if I want to take it, knowing it wont relax me and was wondering if there were any herbal alternatives. I have GABA and valerian root at home and access to a GNC if anybody can recommend something.

Oh yeah, thanks to a lack of babysitter, my 4 year old son will be with me and DH. DS is actually awesome when it comes to squemish stuff, he comes with me every month when I get injections in my back but Im afraid Im going to cry or something and make him afraid of the dentist. (yes, I am fine with multiple injections in my back but the dentist scares the crap out of me)[/QUO
I wish I could help you with all of your concerns, but I haven't had to experience all that you're going through. The one I can help you with is NO.5, that you're afraid of the numb sensation, not being able to breathe afterward. I had all of my teeth out exactly 1 week ago today. That fear of the numbing sensation afterwards was my number 1 fear because I'm like you, I can't stand the thought of something keeping me from breathing. Not only did I have Novocaine, but I also had nerve blocks, and when I woke up from the surgery, I could breathe easily and swallow and there was no problem at all! The Novocaine only works on the sensory part of your mouth, and nothing else, I promise you that! I even had immediate dentures in my mouth along with the stitches, bleeding, etc, and please believe me, you won't have any problem at all. You'll just feel so relieved that it's over. And the numbing sensation will wear off quickly. You'll see, it will be fine. Good luck to you

Back