• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Part of Back Molar fell off; How screwed am I?

A

AbeLinkedIn

So earlier today I was eating a sandwich and felt some discomfort in my upper left molar and discovered there was a hard bit in my bite. Upon inspection, a piece of my very back molar seems to have fallen out, but there is no pain in the site. Most of the tooth is still there and we have reason to believe it was part of a filling or a fractured cusp.

This the first time this has ever happened to me and I'm only 25, almost 26, yet I'm terrified and I feel fragile. I'm not afraid of my dentist, he's great, but I'm more scared if the rest of the tooth must be removed or I must have a root canal or crown done instead of a filling. My tongue of course makes things feel worse but still, you can't ignore something like this. Even my anxiety medicine isn't helping.

I booked an appointment for Thursday and I'm vowing to try not to eat in that time span until I'm convinced the rest of my teeth will not break.

You’re going to be okay.

As a favor or to me, please eat some soft food soon.

You’ll feel better.

You’re going to make it through this. Be sure to update us.

I had some fries since I posted this. I am just not wanting to exacerbate the problem. I'm already fearing extraction. I'm supposed to be graduating college soon, I don't need the extra anxiety.

My appointment is Thursday at 2. I'm afraid of what's going to happen to me. I see so many horror stories to where the only thing that'd make me calm is a filling. I didn't think my teeth were in this bad of shape to where I feel vulnerable

Update: I think the affected tooth is a wisdom tooth. I'm fully expecting an extraction, so anyone have any tips on what to expect? I'm still very much nervous

Abelinked in,

Hold on , its almost hear, so hard not to worry about teeth issues for sure.. but now a days they have a lot of ways to build up and fix teeth. HOpe they give you some good options and are kind about whatever they do! Its also really hard not to be able to eat.. so... hope Thursday comes quick for you and a good fix!!

Abelinked in,

Hold on , its almost hear, so hard not to worry about teeth issues for sure.. but now a days they have a lot of ways to build up and fix teeth. HOpe they give you some good options and are kind about whatever they do! Its also really hard not to be able to eat.. so... hope Thursday comes quick for you and a good fix!!

I spent most of the day researching this stuff, and I'm trying to get desensitized no matter what solution is proposed. I'm still in shock and just coming to terms with how fragile I am and how cocky I got thinking "This wouldn't happen to me." Dead wrong.

I know the place I made an appointment with, I'm not afraid of them, I'm more in fear for myself and how I'll manage if the worst comes to pass

Tomorrow afternoon's the big day, I'm trying my best to keep my composure and not freak out completely. Thankfully my anxiety medicine keeps me in check and I'll be sure to ask about laughing gas when I'm getting prepped up no matter what action must be taken. Keep me in your prayers guys, I need them as this whole ordeal has been terrifying.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope all goes well! Let us know! The worst part will probably be getting through the door..

This is it, in a few hours I'm off and whatever will be will be. The one plus I see is my graduation gift will be waiting for me when I get home so I can let the LA wear off as I play around with it. Everyone I talked to thinks it'll be a filling but considering it's a wisdom tooth, do you think they'll attempt to fill it or crown it or just extract it?

Best of luck Abe, I hope everything goes/went really well for you!

Update: I decided to wait a day after my appointment to give a more accurate recap. I ended up only needing a filling but my dentist did say if it gives me any issues that I can have it taken out since it's only a wisdom tooth.

I am due to go back in three weeks for a cleaning and essentially a follow up to see if there's anything else that needs addressing. They didn't really mention much aside from the elephant in the room.

Not that bad but I'm a little nervous if there's something else that presents a problem.

Glad to read you just got a filling. In my experience the most people expect things to be worse than they are when it comes to fear of treatment, I guess if we face something unknown and uncontrollable, we always assume the worst case. May your appointment in three weeks go well too.

Also really glad to read it was a filling, maybe a smaller treatment to start and sounds like it went well.It sounds like they will keep an eye on it with you and see if it needs anything further and help you there. I also hope your next one goes very well!!

Back