• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Perfect Smile Veneers Review - AVOID

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so this is not really a review, just a link to a new article in the British Dental Journal concerning a product called "Perfect Smile Veneers", which is readily available for purchase online:

DIY dentistry: Clip-on veneer (warning: contains distressing photography)

It sounds as if this product is best avoided :o...

Wow.. :scared: May I suggest to copy the text of the article here? The pictures are really heavy..

Not sure copyright-wise about copying the whole text, but here are some pictures of the product in question (click on them to enlarge):

perfectsmileveer2.jpg

perfectsmileveneer1.jpg

Some excerpts from the letter:

"Unfortunately, the home reline became locked onto the patient's teeth... She was given advice to attend A&E following which she was directed to the dental hospital and presented in a state of extreme physical and emotional distress...

The remaining material was carefully removed and the patient advised not to consider such options in the future. The image taken following removal of the device demonstrates traumatic ulceration from the prosthesis and unstable oral disease...

It would appear there is a growing market in unregulated home dental kits including whitening, orthodontic and smile make-over procedures... The cost to the NHS for the patient's four attendances and the concomitant emotional burden to the patient serve to highlight how such quick fixes can easily become false economies."

It depresses me to see that people have to resort to these kinds of things, only for it to make things even worse. I can totally understand why someone might buy these cheap, plastic veneers, in the absence of being able to afford thousands of dollars worth of dental work, for a job interview or something like that.

There is a place that advertises cheap veneers and they are cheap veneers. I heard that they even have unlicensed dentist operating on patients.
I can assure you that quality care is complex and difficult even after 30 years of experience. I'm sure that the dentists on this board would all agree.

There is a place that advertises cheap veneers and they are cheap veneers. I heard that they even have unlicensed dentist operating on patients.

:scared: - I hope you have reported this to the relevant state dental board?

Thanks for the heads up. That's some frightening stuff, if true. They should be closed down immediately.

It depresses me to see that people have to resort to these kinds of things, only for it to make things even worse. I can totally understand why someone might buy these cheap, plastic veneers, in the absence of being able to afford thousands of dollars worth of dental work, for a job interview or something like that.

Yes. My heart aches for her. She just wants to be able to smile.

Back