• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Perfect teeth becoming crooked

J

jewels_508

I was wondering if anyone has a quick answer to why once perfect teeth are becoming crooked...this is only happening to my bottom front two teeth...I am almost 50
Any insight would be appreciated...thanks !:)

Are you sure you don't have periodontal disease with bone loss? The teeth start to shift then. Are they loose at all? I'm not a dentist but at 50- probably prime reason, unless you've lost other teeth along the way. Teeth can shift just because of aging as well
rp

Last edited:
Have you had your wisdom teeth removed or could they be coming in causing crowding, and pushing your teeth together.

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed or could they be coming in causing crowding, and pushing your teeth together.

At age 50? Now that's what I call a late bloomer :giggle: But I think even in younger folks that is still debatable

I only asked this because that is what happened to me and I was thirty, I had to have them out before they came down into my gums, as I was told. Had they been left they would have damaged my other teeth due to me having a small mouth.

I don't know what age you would normally get them, a dentist once told me that not everybody gets wisdom teeth.

It's not a matter of "getting" them, our teeth buds are developed in utero. It's a matter of when they start to descend or erupt. If they are impacted partially or compeltely they are sort of sideways in bone and they can't erupt. Usually in your teens to early/mid-twenties (17-24) is when they begin to erupt and start to cause trouble. Many people live normal happy lives and keep their wisdom teeth and the recent trends are not to take them out unless they cause trouble. Occassionaly we hear about someone who is born without wisdom teeth but I think it's considered a genetic mutation. We've even had a few posters with the opposite- supernumerary (extra) wisdom teeth like 6 or 8.

My daughter is 25 and hers are kind of stuck (partially impacted) just under the gum, which is what causes pericoronitis-they hurt, hence she is off to the oral surgeon. Many times they come through. but are so far back they are difficult to clean and endanger the second molar in front of them.

My apologies to the OP for being off topic on your question.

rp

Dear RP and others who have made comments,

This is a very interesting subject and one that I have spent the last10 years of my life addressing. I've several google alerts running which has lead me to this site. I'm an orthodontist who follows a very different concept of treatment and I felt that the most important question was to ask why teeth are ever crooked.

We have been anatomical humans for 220,000 year and we NEVER had crooked teeth (with there wisdom teeth in function) until we became civilised and now we all have crooked teeth. None of the other 2400 species of mammals have crooked teeth or any indigenous populations alive today. On top of this my speciality, orthodontics, does not know the cause.

We have assumed that it is genetic, but this does not add up. Why are you teeth becoming crooked now? Your genes have fully expressed them selves many years ago. Why do all kids that have orthodontics have to wear retainers, surly when the teeth are straight they are straight, why should they need to be held, when our ancestors had well aligned teeth from birth to death.

My concept is that our facial complexes have lengthened due to dietary and postural change as the face lengthens it must become narrower and shallower reducing the cross sectional area, hence no space for the teeth, and crooked teeth. The actual type of crookedness may be greatly influenced by your genes but its cause is not!!!!

And back to you. Over time your head and neck posture has weakened and your tongue is not supporting your upper jaw as well which has moved down a little QED. the most apparent point where this is noticeable will be the lower front teeth that are crushed under the upper teeth as the top jaw falls down.

Hope that makes sense if not find me in person,

Best wishes

Mike Mew

Your genes have fully expressed them selves many years ago.

But we now know that epigenetic factors (eg DNA methylation) continue to stochastically influence gene expression throughout the lifespan. Epigenetics connects environmental and genetic factors.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with your assertion that prehistoric humans had perfectly aligned dentition from teething to death. is there really enough evidence to support this?

Anyway, I think the OP was more concerned that an immediate problem underlies their newly crooked teeth.

Interesting, so my short answer age is one theory and the disease process periodonatally is the other? Or maybe tongue thrusting, bruxism or other mechanical habits?

Last edited:
Interesting, so my short answer age is one theory and the disease process periodonatally is the other? Or maybe tonue thrusting, bruxism or other mechanical habits?

Or indeed the latter three quirks (and maybe more!) combined with genetic tendencies. These environmental factors can modify the genome such that they become heritable, a concept I still find quite freaky.

NB since I know quite a bit about genetics but nothing much about teeth, I can't comment on the actual relationship between genetics and dentition.

Mind you, coming back to the OP, best to rule out treatable causes first, right?

I was going to say pretty much what Dread said here. There are too many factors especially with epigenetics to conclude that kind of idea. I like where you're going, though. A very interesting topic.

(thank you Sam Rhine! He is the only reason I understand any of this genetics talk.)

Oh yeah, Sam Rhine is amazing!

Back