• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please please reassure me I'm shaking

F

FraidyCat4life

On September 4th at 1pm I had 14 teeth extracted and my jaw 'smoothed' for dentures. 36 hours later I tell dh I'm terrified of an infection and he goes 'oh you have antibiotics I didn't think they were to be started right away'

So 36 hours later I take my first dose of antibiotics. I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to get a deadly infection now. Please please please reassure me

Oh bless you FraidyCat, please stop shaking. I take it things are a bit fraught in your house at the moment.

I don't think anyone can say 100% that you will not get an infection, any more than they could say 100% that you will, and I'm not a technical person. You are however taking the anitbiotics now, so all is how it should be.

Were you told to do salt water rinses? (I know I was with single extraction). If you have, then they would have helped.

Sorry if I haven't been a lot of help, hoping someone who can reassure a bit more technically will be along in a moment. I just wanted to reply as you sound so frantic.

Happy healing :hug4:and if you have any worries, contact your dentist.

toucan

Bless you hunni - you won't get a deadly infection, so please don't think that. I had eleven teeth extracted in May, and no anti-biotics, and I didn't get an infection. I think you need to give your dentist a ring and explain your anxieties, and just clarify things for your own peace of mind.

Try and do this as soon as you can, as you will end up in even more of a pickle worrying over worrying.

Wishing you well and worry free :)

Thank you both. I started doing salt water rinses after the first day like I was told. I did 5 yesterday and nothing looks infected. I called the surgeon and he said just to start the medicine today but that it was probably fine.

Kim thank you sweetie. :XXLhug: You've been so amazing with me during this journey

Aw thank you lovely, it is a pleasure. I think when you feel as worried and scared as you are, and I have been, it is so worthwhile trying to help, especially as I have worn the same 'shoes' as you so to speak. It won't all be plain sailing as I think I have already said, but you are doing amazingly well, and the fact that you are taking the 'bull by the horns' and contacting your dentist (who is the best person to ask, as he was the one who carried out your procedure) with your concerns, is brilliant. And at least this way, he has a 'head's up' on what is happening and will be well and truly prepared, if, in the very unlikely event, he needs to lend a helping hand.

And don't worry, your unswollen face will be back to it's normal beautiful self before you know it :cheer::yay::cheer::yay:

Keep your chin up xx

Scared myself even more - sorry to need more support

So today I'm running a low grade fever. I started my antibiotics 36 hours after my extraction thanks to a miscommunication.

Someone sent me a link about Ludwigs Angina and of course now that I'm thinking about it I'm positive I have it and am really scared. But my swelling isn't that bad but anxiety makes me feel worse. I need some comfort as I'm so so terrified I'm going to die in my sleep.

I called my dentist and he doesn't think it's Ludwigs and said hell check me out tomorrow but guys please help me calm down?

Hi FraidyCat4life I haven't anything to add as such here. Kim is the best person at the moment to help you as she has been through having multiple teeth out and knows how you are feeling.

I do just want to add my good wishes to you and wish you a speedy recovery. :butterfly:

You have done really well so far, CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::yay::yay::cheer::cheer::cheer::jump::jump::jump: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THE SALT WATER RINSES.

Re: Scared myself even more - sorry to need more support

Alot of the time in medicine and dentistry antibiotics are given 'just in case' you do develop an infection. Lots of people get lots of teeth taken out - such as our very own Kim - and they don't get given antibiotics. One dentist will give them and another dentist will disagree and say it is not necessary.
So what I'm trying to say is - don't stress about the fact that you had a delay in starting the antibiotics. Your dentist probably gave them to you 'just in case' and not because you really, really absolutely needed them.
As for ludwig's angina - apart from the fact that it is rare - it is really hard to miss because you look like Peter Griffin in the program 'Family Guy'. I have to shake my head at the person who sent you the link for that......
Be good to yourself - and stop checking your temperature ;)

Re: Scared myself even more - sorry to need more support

I had a root canal treatment, now I know you have had different work done but bare with me here. The day after I had the rct my face swelled and the gland under my chin which looked really bad and of course my face was really swollen and I was in agony, it felt like it was effecting me swallowing as well. I was also in a lot of pain. I went to the dentist and I had an infection, I got antibiotics the same as you have been given. Within 3 days I was out of pain and the swelling was going down.

I wouldn't worry about Ludwigs as it is rare and bare in mind you have just had work done, there is a reason other than the Ludwigs that has probably caused this. As you take the antibiotics you will begin to feel better.

As you will be seeing your dentist tomorrow, you will be fine, nothing is going to happen to you until you see the dentist, so try not to stress too much, it will make you feel worse.

Let us know how you get on and Get well soon. :)

I have also shook my head at the person that sent you that, listen to your dentist he knows what he is doing. Don't be looking on the internet apart from here, you will scare yourself to death, it's a scary place for us nervous people.

STEP AWAY FROM THE GOOGLE :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi everyone! Saw my dentist. He has actually treated Ludwig's before (he's an oral and maxillofacial surgeon) he wasn't concerned at all. He said he could feel both of my jaw bones and with Ludwigs he wouldn't be able to.

He said for this being day 3 that my mouth looks amazing considering :) I'm a bit sore but nothing major. He felt along my gum line and I can start brushing my gums next Tuesday. My little bunch of 'trees of stitches' is doing good. That's where things were fused and I lost a lot of bone with it.

I'm feeling a lot lot better about everything now :)

I think you must be getting bored with me hunni, but I couldn't not :poppingin:and give my 'twopenny worth'. Firstly and most importantly, I am so glad you saw your dentist, and even more glad that he has totally put your mind at rest on the Ludwig thing. That makes you feel better, and then it has a knock on effect, and we all feel better, so thank kind dentist for that, you have made a whole bunch of people happy, and you don't even know it.

Next I have a list - it is a 'slap list' (a virtual one of course, I wouldn't dream of doing the real thing - well, only if really, really pushed ;) ) And so, as much as you may like/love the person who sent you the link about Ludwig's angina, they are now at the top of my list!!

And today, I am putting a second 'person' on it - my good old matey, Google. Now I love Google to pieces, I have learnt so much through Google BUT I think that in today's technology, there should be sensor that when you type in a question to Google it automatically picks up on your anxiousness/worry/fretting vibes and blocks you from reading up on things that you know will send you into even more of a tizzy than you already are.

We none of us can help our 'make-up' in life, and doesn't matter how much we are told sometimes, we will worry because that is just what we will do. People that know us will know what we are like, and I think as a general rule of thumb, I think these well intentioning people, should take a step back, and try to think how they would feel if the boot was on the other foot.

You haven't said if you're face is less swollen today, but I'd like to think that it is, and hopefully that will put a smile on your face as well as the good news from your dentist.

Onwards and upwards hun - I can feel another song - 'The only way is up, baby, you and me girl' :ROFLMAO:

I think you must be getting bored with me hunni, but I couldn't not :poppingin:and give my 'twopenny worth'. Firstly and most importantly, I am so glad you saw your dentist, and even more glad that he has totally put your mind at rest on the Ludwig thing. That makes you feel better, and then it has a knock on effect, and we all feel better, so thank kind dentist for that, you have made a whole bunch of people happy, and you don't even know it.

Next I have a list - it is a 'slap list' (a virtual one of course, I wouldn't dream of doing the real thing - well, only if really, really pushed ;) ) And so, as much as you may like/love the person who sent you the link about Ludwig's angina, they are now at the top of my list!!

And today, I am putting a second 'person' on it - my good old matey, Google. Now I love Google to pieces, I have learnt so much through Google BUT I think that in today's technology, there should be sensor that when you type in a question to Google it automatically picks up on your anxiousness/worry/fretting vibes and blocks you from reading up on things that you know will send you into even more of a tizzy than you already are.

We none of us can help our 'make-up' in life, and doesn't matter how much we are told sometimes, we will worry because that is just what we will do. People that know us will know what we are like, and I think as a general rule of thumb, I think these well intentioning people, should take a step back, and try to think how they would feel if the boot was on the other foot.

You haven't said if you're face is less swollen today, but I'd like to think that it is, and hopefully that will put a smile on your face as well as the good news from your dentist.

Onwards and upwards hun - I can feel another song - 'The only way is up, baby, you and me girl' :ROFLMAO:

I'm not bored with you at all!!! I love reading your posts. Husband says I'm less swollen today and noticeably the swelling on the right is a lot less firm which is hopefully a good thing :) I can talk better today and my lips are very noticeably less swollen.

I'll post a photo today in my journal :)

My 'friend' has been deleted from my friends list. I had hours and hours and hours of freaking out thanks to her linking me to that. AND she never WARNED me what it was :cry:

Aw bless you - and I am so glad you put that response to me waffling - as i was feeling guilty for putting someone I don't know on my slap list, but now I don't at all. I think even people on here who don't 'know me, know me' would have a fair idea of the sort of person I am, and none of them would do such a thing. They may tell me things I already know, and they will offer advice and support, and all of that will be given from the bottoms of their hearts, so I don't need to go to confession and ask for my guilt to be wiped from my slate after all - phew ;)

Kim x

Back