• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified...please reassure

Robert

Robert

Hi everyone, reasonably new to posting on the site...

Next Friday, 12th March, at 8.30am, I am having a general anesthetic and having all my teeth removed at the dental hospital! Needless to say I am utterly terrified! I already have some temporary dentures to take with me and an appointment the following Monday with my dentist to make any adjustments.. This is all new to me, however, I have been struggling back and forth to the dentist for years and years - complete cowardice has left my existing teeth in the worst possible state. I always have severe pain and what can only be called abscesses on my gums above the bad teeth - I have a very public facing job and always paranoid that I look so awful when I talk to people. I've been totally miserable for so long.. So I'm hoping that all goes well next Friday, and, perhaps if any of you guys have had similar, especially the anesthetic, you might offer me some words of support?

I'm counting the days down now and keep looking at the calendar on my mobile phone, willing them away! :cry: Four days of work left and Bingo! What lies ahead after that.....hopefully a nice smile and some proper food.

Robert

General Anaesthetic is nothing to be worried about - you count to 10, don't get past 2, wake up and it's all over. I'm sure you will be in good hands. :welcome:
:grouphug:

I think the big plus for you is going to be the end result!
Gone will be the days when you were wary of facing people !
:)

As Brit said, your procedure will be absolutely painless, and when you wake it will be all over.
Within a short time you will realise that you'll never need dental treatment again; just think.... no more fillings ;)

Wishing you well ..

My mother wears full dentures after years of struggling with her teeth. She has said its the best thing she ever did for herself.
Blessings to you

Oh thanks guys, that's really reassuring! Pointing out the plusses helps! Thank you all

Hey everyone, once again thanks for your reassurance.. Friday gone I had my general anestheic and all my teeth removed! Bingo! Don't know what on Earth I was worried about! :jump: I've got lots of stitches and quite an uncomfortable mouth, however, this is my first step to a new smile - can't get my temps in so they'll have to be adjusted tomorrow when I see my dentist (hoping she'll get them in for me). A word about the anesthetic... I was terrified but it was actually a very relaxing experience. The nurses, anesthetist and surgeon were all fantastic (RVI Dental Hospital, Newcastle - am I allowed to mention them? They were fabulous with me! From the moment I arrived to the moment I left they were brilliant.

So thanks again guys for your very welcome reassurance!
Robert:respect:

Good job Robert, on your way to a new smile. Sounds like you did very well.

rp

Wow well done to you!!! I am facing the same thing!!!! in april i too am having all my teeth out and dentures put in, i am terrified but i guess it musnt be as bad as tooth ache!! congrats to you and you should be so proud of yourself!!

Good going! :respect:

Well done Robert :jump: Your new smile will be great. I know mine is, keep looking in mirror :redface:

Thanks again you lot...

Oh, and Oucho, I really mean it when I say I was terrified but believe me, what was an horrific prospect actually ended up as quite a calming experience on the day! I guarantee you'll think the same afterwards. I'm still very swollen and sore but the bad teeth and all the anxieties are way behind now!
:jump:
Robert

Well done Robert :jump: