• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible tmj/tmd?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Icandoit141128
  • Start date Start date
I

Icandoit141128

Junior member
Joined
Jan 1, 2017
Messages
14
Hi, I posted on this thread a few weeks ago because I was having pain in what felt like my 2nd and 3rd upper molar on eating hard food, initially starting as a dull ache, progressing to rebound pain and not being able to open my jaw without severe pain. I went to the dentist (who barely even looked, didn't bother to xray and had already decided before I went in that I needed antibiotics). My bite had been feeling a bit funny too. I have been taking my antibiotics and things seemed to settle, except today I've been having a dull pain in my jaw right at the corner, and eating some cereal just now I felt some pain in my ear/back teeth.

I'm a bit worried about potential other problems, especially since the dentist didnt xray. I have tooth and jaw pain now, and a bit of ear pain. Could it be tmd causing all of these problems? I can't find much online about tmd causing toothache during or after eating. I'm kind of hoping it would explain the symptoms as I'm paranoid I've got some raging problem that would necessitate root canals or extraction.. any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!
 
Hi it could be that tmd is causing the pain. Go back to the dentist and ask them to x ray you. They should have done this when you had a check. If they don't seem keen on doing it then go and see someone else. If your jaw is giving you trouble then you need to see someone about it. Your dentist can refer you. Or before referring you they could do you a night guard that might help the problem.
 
TMJ pain can be really tricky to diagnose because it can look like a lot of other different types of problems. Everyone is a bit different as to how their TMD shows up. As to your question of whether it could make your upper molars hurt while eating... yes it could make you think you're having tooth pain when in fact the pain is coming from a muscle or the jaw joint in that area.

Not being able to open your jaw without pain, pain when eating crunchy foods, and ear pain can all be signs of TMD. Now to be fair, they can also be a sign of infection. An x-ray and a couple of other tests can rule out the infection. If an infection was ruled out then I'd definitely be considering TMD as the most likely cause.

I hate to speak badly of another dentist, but if he prescribed antibiotics without having taken a recent x-ray, you should probably find someone else. That is pretty much standard of care. Find someone who will listen to your symptoms, do some testing of your teeth and jaw, and come up with a list of possible diagnoses.

Hope this helps!
 
Hi, Thank you both!

I rang the dentist again Friday to try to book an appointment, they just said I would have to ring back Monday morning. I said it wasn't an absolute emergency and I could wait a week or so (I have to have late appointments too due to childcare) but she point blank refused to even look for me.

I have been debating going to a private dentist and having a full new patient check up with xrays etc, but I don't know if you can be registered with an NHS and a seperate private dentist? To be honest I am getting really fed up of our dentist because our dental appointments are being moved further and further apart, they didn't do even a basic clean last time I was there (a year ago, next appointment isn't until may/june!) and I just don't think the quality of care is up to scratch.

Is it possible to be registered with both an NHS dentist and a seperate private dentist? If so, is it possible to have dental check ups privately in between the NHS ones? I'm assuming if they identified I would need any work doing I would have to pay for it privately?

Just trying to weigh up my options. Like I said, I am getting fed up of our dentist, I feel as an NHS patient they rush you so much. I don't like the dentist yet I go as regularly as I can because I want to avoid further problems :(

Thanks
 
You can have as many dentists as you want. It is your mouth and your choice.

A better idea might be to find another dentist that you feel will put your health first and one that you can be confident in doing any work you may need. It is a fault of the nhs system being rushed and checks made further apart but after saying that there are some very good nhs dentists out there that do the proper checks every six month. It isn't always necessary to have a check every six months if there are no problems highlighted by a check and x rays to back these up. As far as I know you should be x rayed every couple of years to predict any problems that may arise.

I wish you all the best with finding a dentist that will be able to take care of your dental health be it private of nhs. You can flip from private to nhs whenever you want. You can also now see a hygienist anywhere you want as well you don't have to be referred anymore by a dentist.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:
 
Carole, for answering this thread as well as my other one, thank you again. It may seem extreme to ask in this thread and then start another but I get a lot of anxiety and that just happened to make me feel I was doing all I could to get an answer! It's so hard to know what to do with dental care I think.
 
It is really hard to know what to do :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Because we are nervous about needing treatments and we don't want any, we sometimes can't avoid them and want to make sure that they are the correct ones. :butterfly:
 
Back
Top