• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post extraction bone grafts swelling looks infected...?

V

Violintides

I would post this in "ask a dentist" but it won't let me post there. :(
Here are some photos I have taken. I am worried this is infected because it feels way too overly swollen.
Any thoughts?
I had my surgery five days ago. They extracted and bone grafted #4, #9, #11, & #12.
21p7lS2.jpg

UhpTcuLh.jpg
Update:
The front sutures just had a few fall out. :( The pain has intensified. ???

I’d ring back the dentist who did it! It does look infected maybe you need antibiotics

I have an appointment with him in three hours. But I am freaking out!! I had to be put under for general anesthesia because my anxiety is so bad!!!! I have been on amoxicillin since the surgery so I don't understand how it could have gotten infected!?!

I have an appointment with him in three hours. But I am freaking out!! I had to be put under for general anesthesia because my anxiety is so bad!!!! I have been on amoxicillin since the surgery so I don't understand how it could have gotten infected!?!

HOpe your appt goes well and you get some answers !

Update:

He said it's not infected. He said he used a collagen membrane and the yellowish color is a mixture of that plus what a scab looks like inside of our mouths. He said everything looks good and prescribed me more pain medication. He also said he will see me in 2 weeks for another follow up.
08lnCrYh.jpg

Update:

I am going to see if I can see a dentist for an emergency appointment because I just found this massive hole and the pain and swelling are still VERY bad. :(
3jtFbAOh.jpg

He really butchered the roof of my mouth. The swelling still hasn't gone down and the pain is pretty significant. I'd say around a 7 on the pain scale. Sometimes it shoots up to a 9, sometimes it mellows down with pain meds to a 5. Just look at the difference between the healthier side of the roof of my mouth (which actually had an extraction and bone graft of #4!) compared to the other side where #9, #11, and #12 were taken out and bone grafted. It looks atrocious!!
78CENrDh.jpg

Just saw the dental surgeon again.
He said it's normal to be this swollen and that what I saw wasn't a hole and that the membranes are still in tact. He was very dismissive about my concerns with how the swelling isn't going down. Despite my utmost care of the area and strictly liquid diet, it is so swollen and hurts all the time. :cry: I'll keep you guys updated for the following months of progress. If anyone knows of any dentists or surgeons who might have any thoughts or ideas on this, let me know.

Had another follow up today.
It looks even worse than the last photo, imo. The swelling isn't going down at all. I sincerely feel like he overpacked it. :( but he said it was looking better. Still throbs and swollen like crazy. Ugh.
3O1S6Dvh.jpg

Next follow up is in a week; but wanted to give an update photo. This is how it is looking. The swelling is FINALLY starting to come down. It has been such a struggle! I miss chewing all the foods instead of just soup, mashed potatoes, and oatmeal. ?
sWE6pLCh.jpg

25 days post-op update.
Talking is getting better but certain sounds are still weird since I am missing a tooth. Still having some pain up in my gums near the front tooth. Also having a big issue where that line front tooth is getting really stressed from talking/pressure from my tongue just on the daily. :(
qnDCb9ph.jpg

Is this normal to be swollen 25 days after? I am having three teeth extracted and bone grafted next week and this is kind of freaking me out. They said I would be fine to go to work in 2 days.

Is this normal to be swollen 25 days after? I am having three teeth extracted and bone grafted next week and this is kind of freaking me out. They said I would be fine to go to work in 2 days.
The oral surgeon said I was healing well, and that it is normal to be swollen, but that every person's mouth is different. You'll notice that in the photo at the bottom left and bottom right (which is my top back right tooth and top back left tooth that both also got extracted and bone grafted) there is basically no swelling and there never has been very much swelling in either of those two places. The time it takes to heal certain areas is really depending on how much work you have done, how bad it was, and where it was. My mouth did NOT like having this one tooth not come out so I think it got really swollen around that one that stayed. That being said, I've seen my oral surgeon for post-op check ups 4 times and haven't been told things are bad yet. The only time I was concerned, it cleared itself up.

Definitely drink lots of Soylent, that shit has been a life saver. When I don't want to eat, it helps me get nutrition. When I want to eat, it helps me get good protein and feel full if I drink it before a meal, so that I'm not living on sugar water like Jell-O or sugary instant oatmeal stuff.

Back