• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post procedure worries

A

AnxiousThesia

Hello again!

Surprisingly enough, i'm not as gripped with anxiety over discussing having surgery done as I once was last year when I first joined. That is largely all thanks to this site! Though unfortunately I don't really know how to go about planning another procedure. As I've said in the past, dental procedures aren't insured anymore. And when I found out I needed all of my WTeeth out. I was told by a dentist after getting a root canal and some fillings. I didn't go out of my way to plan this. And despite my saying i'm not as nervous about discussing it. I'm still terrified of going through with it without the aide of therapy.

Anyway, onto the actual topic. So, I've made a terrible mistake, I stumbled across worst case WTeeth surgery scenarios on the internet. Which as you might be able to tell, didn't help my anxiety very much. But one of the ones I've found was of someone who unfortunately passed after the procedure. This especially terrified me, as while i'm handicapped and don't live alone. My caregiver does work for some hours during the day. And if the thought of passing away under sedation didn't scare me enough, the thought of it happening at home without anyone at all knowing definitely does. I'm sure I won't be alone when the time finally comes and I make it out of surgery.

But is this much cause for concern? I know death during or post surgery is very rare even for someone who might have some health conditions...right? Anyway. Just one of the many Wisdom Tooth anxieties I wanted to get off my chest.

Thank you as always for your patience with me :).

If you wish to read stories about wisdom teeth removal, the best thing is to read the success stories here. The secret of googling is this: you will always find "evidence" for what you look for. So if you google dying of surgery or complications, that is what you will find. Not because it's likely to happen but because there is just a lot of rubbish in the web. I bet you can find dying of pretty anything if you google properly.
You won't die of the surgery or sedation and won't die after it.

Yeah, I know.

I feel pretty foolish viewing the article and posting about it here.

I don't know if I should keep the thread up lol.

Anxiousthesia,

Just wanted to say , every time I've went under GA and sedation. I have always worried and worried and googled and got myself very worked up. One surgery I nearly stopped it right before I was so scared. But it was my Dr of long time I trusted and I asked him last minute.. will I be ok and he answered me.. When do you have your procedure again? maybe going to your gp and getting cleared will give you more peace of mind before being put under? I know it did for me. I know myself I can have some bit of irrational thoughts about things being anxious but one thing my therapist has told me is the feelings about it are not irrational. They are valid and real. so its good you are processing this. :). I do agree with Enarete it is great to feed your mind and thoughts with the success stories here. the google did not help me for sure.. and not suggesting for others either..

I think its pretty normal to worry about how sedation or the surgery will effect you (especially if you haven't done something like it before). I remember having a moment of worry/realization just before my wisdom tooth surgery. It was something like "this is really going to happen and what about all those wonderful potential risks that were mentioned earlier?" Would agree with what the others posted, focus on the positive stories. Google can magnify the negative aspects too much.

Thank you all once more.

Sorry for not replying to this thread.
I still felt pretty foolish for doing what everybody in the health industry and fellow members tell you not to do lol.

Back