• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Puffy gums but dentist says I’m alright?

K

klol

On Monday morning I woke up to the gums behind my front left tooth and the one to the left of it feeling puffy. I went for a quick check up just to make sure nothing was wrong. Dentist said there didn’t appear to be issues, gums weren’t bleeding, no food stuck, took an X-ray of the area because I’d had a filling done in July and the X-ray looked great. Awesome. Swelling went down throughout the day. Woke up the next morning and the puffiness returned, although this time slightly more to the right. Went away throughout the day. Seemed less puffy throughout the week, and then I woke up this morning to the puffiness behind the front right teeth, behind my left first molar, and between my two bottom front teeth. The puffiness isn’t huge, it’s hard to notice visible but I can feel it constantly with my tongue. I floss every nights and brush at least twice a day with my electric toothbrush (although I’ve been using a manual brush yesterday and today in the mornings since my gums are a little more sensitive around the puffy gum areas). There’s no bleeding when I floss but it is uncomfortable where the gums are puffy. Ive also noticed that my submandibular glands are a bit painful, but not swollen. I’ve had a runny nose/sneezy stuff happening off and on for a week or two.
I’m not sure what is happening or what to do. I’m so worried that whatever is happening is going to ruin my gums and teeth.

Not being nosey, there are some things this could be that are sex dependant, so are you a man or a woman? What age are you?

If you are female, I sporadically get slightly puffy gums, particularly round my upper right wisdom tooth, at the midpoint of my menstrual cycle. It goes down, then comes again just before my period begins. At my last checkup my gums were declared “smashing”, scores were 0s and 1s, so I try not to worry about it. Apparently it’s not uncommon for women’s gums to be impacted by hormonal fluctuations.

(Apologies if you are male and that was completely irrelevant.)

I use a baby’s toothbrush to clean round that tooth when it happens, and sometimes Corsodyl dipped on a cotton bud.

Apologies if you are male and that was completely irrelevant.)

I immediatelly thought of you as I read this as I had a similar issue and never thought it could be connected to this. You have been the first person that mentioned it here so even if if doesn't apply to kiol, it certainly can't do any harm to spread this information :grin:

I immediatelly thought of you as I read this as I had a similar issue and never thought it could be connected to this. You have been the first person that mentioned it here so even if if doesn't apply to kiol, it certainly can't do any harm to spread this information :grin:

It was actually Gordon who confirmed it for me here when I asked the question, then I mentioned it to my own dentist too, who was like, yes, that’s a thing. What a bind female hormones are, and who knew they could effect us in so many ways!

Hey I've been married a long time, female hormones have an effect on men too! :)

Hey I've been married a long time, female hormones have an effect on men too! :)

Ha ha, my partner would definitely agree with that when he has to comfort me after I have cried at the Dogs’ Trust advert for the 40,000th time!

Back