• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question about large filling... very scared

• Thread starter throughagreyseyes
  • Start date
T

throughagreyseyes

I'm hoping for some support in the next half hour. I hadn't been to a dentist in many years and finally went recently, for full x-rays and the exam. I was literally crying real tears went I went in because I am so scared, and called and rescheduled the appointment several times before I went in.
The verdict was that I needed deep cleanings and had 5 cavities. One cavity being very large. The dentist said I should get the cleanings first and then move on the fillings, and do the large one first before it turns into being a root canal.
So I finished the deep cleanings last week, and today I am going in for two fillings. The large filling is one of them and I am terrified. I have picked up the phone twice to call and cancel, but then put it back down. The tooth is #2, which is on the top right all the way in the back next to my wisdom tooth, and I also have the fear of gagging with them working so far back in my mouth.
I did call yesterday and asked how long the appointment would take, and the receptionist said about 35-40 minutes, since the teeth are just two away from each other so I'll already be numb in that area. I was very surprised since one cavity is so large, and assumed I'd be there for more than an hour. How long does it really take and how much does it hurt? Also will I gag with it being in the back of my mouth? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm terrified right now and I have to leave my house in 30 minutes for the appointment.

It's not really a much longer job to do a big filling as a small one, I know it sounds a bit daft, but that's the case.

You can eat perfectly fine without gagging? So stuff in your mouth isn't a big deal. Just tell the dentist all this and let them work with you to get over it.

Yes I can eat without gagging, lol, but at the dentist it's an entirely different story. When I had the deep cleaning on the left side of my mouth I started gagging a lot when some of the numbing gel or water or something ran down my throat a little. I had to sit up and make her stop for a few minutes and was so embarrassed!

No need for embarrassment, we all gag from time to time. It's not a big problem for a dentist to deal with.

How did you get on?

I've got a filling on Friday and worried about exactly the same thing! :o

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I expected it to take like an hour, but it really probably only took 20 minutes or so from start to finish. The worst part for me was laying so far back and trying to keep my mouth open the right away since this tooth is upper right molar all the way in the back. For right now I just have a temporary sedative filling in, and if it all goes well I'll have that replaced with a permanent one in about 6 weeks or so. However, I am going back for another filling on Tuesday. (I was diagnosed with a total of 5 cavities.) Good luck tomorrow. If I can do, then you can definitely do it. Do you have an ipod? Bringing mine helped a lot!

Back