• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question about sensitivity after lower front teeth fillings.

O

overbitestinks93

I figured I would post here to see if I can get a dentists opinion since no one replied to my other posts. I shared my full story of my recent appointment in the Success Stories forum.

Recently I came in for two chipped incisors, but ended up needing fillings on all 4 teeth due to small cavities in between. The one chip had been causing a lot of sensitivity and my dentist ignored it for 7 years whenever I brought it up. I pushed for a second opinion with another dentist now that I moved to a new area and he discovered there was more damage. (I was already scared of getting fillings due to the needles and drills, but now I'm scared of going to the dentist knowing that my other one lied to me for years. That and I couldn't believe my dentist didn't see the cavities in between my teeth on the xray like my new one did.)

I am beginning to worry, because I had my second appointment Monday to finish my fillings and I'm still having sensitivity in between my teeth and near my gum line. I'm also getting pain in between my front teeth whenever I try to floss. (and crowding that made it difficult to floss was most-likely the reason why I had the cavities in between in the first place) Most of my pain is coming from the area of the gum towards the bottom the tooth I chipped 7 years ago. I notice it wasn't filled in as much as the far left incisor, which could be because I had more tooth chipped away that they couldn't build onto. I'm scared and kind of frustrated thinking I wouldn't still have that sensitivity if my old dentist would've listened to me about the one chipped tooth years ago. Also, if he would've caught the cavities between my teeth as they were starting instead of ignoring them. I'm thankful this new dentist caught them, but I just wish the sensitivity wouldn't feel like it's gotten worse. :(

Does the sensitivity ever get better in composite fillings on lower incisors? I brush my teeth every day and went to the dentist every 6 months since I was little so this has been a frustrating experience learning that I had more damage than I thought. I'm only 24.

Most of the time the sensitivity will settle down within a couple of weeks. Anytime a tooth is drilled on it irritates the nerve and this can make a bit hypersensitive for a while. I'd give it some time and then have your dentist recheck everything if it still isn't getting any better.

Thank you. I'm just nervous because of how much they drilled away. I'm very thankful for how calm the dentist and his assistants are. It was quite a shock to me to find out how much my old dentist had ignored about my chipped teeth and sensitivity. I'm hoping once things settle down that my sensitivity will be gone and I can floss normally without feeling pain. I go back to see them in May since they went off of my last checkup with the old dentist in November for the 6th month interval. (not counting the filling I got with that old dentist in December) Not looking forward to my first cleaning with the composite front teeth fillings or seeing if they're worn down by then, but at least I know I'm with people who actually care.

It's been a week and a half since my second filling appointment where they drilling away and filled the top and sides of my incisors (I had cavities in between my teeth and chipping on the top). They also filled a cavity in a second molar up top that already had composite fillings in it. My gums are feeling "raw" around my molar and are feeling "raw" and sensitive in between my bottom teeth. I'm also getting a metallic taste if my tongue touches the back of my bottom front teeth. The tooth that is most sensitive whenever something touches it is the chipped tooth that was ignored by my old dentist for 7 year. (right on the side that was chipped is sensitive). Will this ever go away? I'm also curious why they didn't rebuild that tooth like they did the others. Is it because too much had chipped away? All they did was smooth it out with boding at the edge, but it still feels like it's still missing about an 8th of the tooth like it was before my filling appointments. I wish my dentist would've listened to me years ago so that I wouldn't have chipped so much off....

Thanks for your feedback.

Back