• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions about root canals, ulcers, and deep cleaning

Z

zeldaluvr2007

Hi there,

I have a bad habit of not taking care of my teeth properly, and as such have several cavities and tartar build up. I went to the dentist yesterday, and they want to do a deep cleaning and a root canal.

The tooth that needs a root canal is tooth #20, a pre-molar, has been causing me some pain. To help with the pain, I bought Orajel double medicated pain rinse. But, I ended up having an allergic reaction from the rinse and now I have a bunch of ulcers in my mouth; on my gums in a couple places, the sides of my tongue (at the base). On top of that, my gums are now super sensitive so it hurts to brush my gums.

Is there any solution to healing the ulcers other than peroxide and water?

As far as the root canal goes, do they typically give you laughing gas, or is it just general anesthesia? And do they numb you up for deep cleaning? I've heard that they scrape away the build up, which sounds painful.

I've included a photo, sorry for the blurry quality ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_231708.jpg
    IMG_20190527_231708.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 9
Leave the peroxide alone, if you really feel the urge to rinse out then use some weak salt solution, a teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water is about right.
Start brushing your teeth and the gums will start to heal and toughen up a bit which will make the cleaning a bit easier. You will find your gums bleed a lot when you brush them properly, this is fine, don't let it put you off.

It's possible to get local anaesthetic for the cleaning, some people like it others don't need it, it's hard to say in advance.

You won't get a GA for a root canal.

I am very prone to mouth ulcers. Any time I get really stressed, I get them, and after every dental procedure. Orajel has never really worked for me, although I don't have a bad reaction to it. Two things I do that seems to help. First, salt water rinses. For pain, I have a rinse called Ulcer-ease, that I buy. I used to buy it in the pharmacy, but when I moved it was no longer available where I live now, but I found it on Amazon. Good luck!

Leave the peroxide alone, if you really feel the urge to rinse out then use some weak salt solution, a teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water is about right.
Start brushing your teeth and the gums will start to heal and toughen up a bit which will make the cleaning a bit easier. You will find your gums bleed a lot when you brush them properly, this is fine, don't let it put you off.

It's possible to get local anaesthetic for the cleaning, some people like it others don't need it, it's hard to say in advance.

You won't get a GA for a root canal.
The dentist I went and saw was the one who recommended I use peroxide. It seems to be helping, so I've continued despite how bad it tastes ?

I am very prone to mouth ulcers. Any time I get really stressed, I get them, and after every dental procedure. Orajel has never really worked for me, although I don't have a bad reaction to it. Two things I do that seems to help. First, salt water rinses. For pain, I have a rinse called Ulcer-ease, that I buy. I used to buy it in the pharmacy, but when I moved it was no longer available where I live now, but I found it on Amazon. Good luck!
I haven't had them in a long time, and not to this extent lol. I will look into that stuff, it sounds interesting. The dentist recommended I use peroxide and water, but it tastes horrendous so maybe I'll try salt water again.

Hi there,

I have a bad habit of not taking care of my teeth properly, and as such have several cavities and tartar build up. I went to the dentist yesterday, and they want to do a deep cleaning and a root canal.

The tooth that needs a root canal is tooth #20, a pre-molar, has been causing me some pain. To help with the pain, I bought Orajel double medicated pain rinse. But, I ended up having an allergic reaction from the rinse and now I have a bunch of ulcers in my mouth; on my gums in a couple places, the sides of my tongue (at the base). On top of that, my gums are now super sensitive so it hurts to brush my gums.

Is there any solution to healing the ulcers other than peroxide and water?

As far as the root canal goes, do they typically give you laughing gas, or is it just general anesthesia? And do they numb you up for deep cleaning? I've heard that they scrape away the build up, which sounds painful.

I've included a photo, sorry for the blurry quality ?

Do they hurt generally without touching or brushing? The ulcers that is?

Do they hurt generally without touching or brushing? The ulcers that is?
At first they hurt anytime I moved my mouth at all.. Talking, moving my tongue, etc. Now it's mainly eating, though a little bit less, and brushing my teeth, also a little less.

Slowly but surely they're healing, I just wish they'd heal faster!

At first they hurt anytime I moved my mouth at all.. Talking, moving my tongue, etc. Now it's mainly eating, though a little bit less, and brushing my teeth, also a little less.

Slowly but surely they're healing, I just wish they'd heal faster!

Right I’m dealing with a canker. How long have yours taken or are taking to heal? Nearly a month in here

Right I’m dealing with a canker. How long have yours taken or are taking to heal? Nearly a month in here
I'm almost a week in. They're starting to feel better, I'm able to eat without being in a lot of pain. Some people are against it, but using a 1:1 ratio of peroxide and water has really been helping me. I do a rinse about 2-3 times a day, for about a minute each time. It tastes really bad though ? the taste lingers, too lol.

Good luck with yours! I have a deep cleaning appt at my dentist as soon as these are healed. Scared to go, though. Last time I went to the dentist, I had to have one of my top molars yanked and it was pretty traumatic ?

Back