• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions surrounding my oroantral fistula procedure.

B

blackyeti

I believe I'm going to have an Oroantral Fistula procedure. I went to the dentist because pus and food debris kept coming out of this little hole/flap on the surface of my gums above where I believe my wisdom tooth to be. Through X-rays, it was shown that my wisdom tooth (top left) made it's way all the way up, near my sinus. My dentist told me it hasn't touched the sinus yet, but when I blow my nose and such, stuff comes out my gum-hole.
Anyways, my dentist told me I'll have to go to my local hospital to see a dental surgeon, and that I'll need to extract the tooth (it's pretty high up in the X-ray, quite mortifying to be honest). I am now feeling anxious, as I don't know anybody who's had to go through this, nor if this is dangerous. I'm in Sweden, and I am a 144lbs, 6'0, 18 year old guy. I'm not scared of what I'll have to go through, granted this isn't one of those "emergency" situations where there can be a lot of complications and dangers. I really want to know if my situation is common, uncommon, rare, or very rare and unsual.

My Questions:

- Is having to go to a dental surgeon for a Wisdom tooth extraction a sign of something very concerning? or this is common?

- Are Oroantral Fistula procedures dangerous or life threatening? I'm just afraid that this is something new that the dental surgeon I'm set up with won't know what to do.

- I believe I'll most likely be put under IV Sedation. I read somewhere that IV sedation doesn't technically put you to sleep, so there isn't going to be a chance of 'not waking up'. Is this true? (fingers crossed)

- My wisdom tooth hasn't reached my sinus. But let's just say, worst case scenario, it reaches my sinus. Would the procedure be a rare and risky case? Or are wisdom teeth reaching sinus cavities more common than I thought?

- If my other wisdom teeth are completely fine and unimpacted, will they still remove them?

Hey there :)

I’m sorry I can’t help with much as I’m not studying dentistry or anything like that. But I did have IV sedation yesterday (it’s amazing ?) and I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t put you to sleep, as that’s what general anaesthetic does. It can make you feel like you’ve been asleep though, as the drugs most commonly have an amnesia style side effect :). But they would have a reversal drug for the rare case that they needed to make you fully aware (fire alarms, etc...).

Hope it all goes well for you :)

Back