• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rant: I need a new Dentist

E

eekLaura

Junior member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2
Location
Canada
Alright so I've had dental problems my whole life, I had braces for about three years, and I've been getting a few cavities every year. Now that I'm older, I'm only 20 so not that old, I seem to be getting more, last year I had 12 cavities, 12! Though I have a feeling the Bulimia I had for a few years, Which I still relapse through every few weeks played a part in that. So All those cavities used up all my parents insurance and I had to wait until now to go for another cleaning and checkup. Already I know there is going to be a problem because my front tooth got chipped a few moths ago and one of my lower left molars has been bothering me when I eat.

So when I go in today I`m already nervous enough to dry heave the whole way to the dentists office. I get in and the dentist checks in quickly and I ask her about my chipped tooth, if it can be fixed and how it would be fixed and she just brushes me off saying it can be fixed. That already has me a bit annoyed because I wanted to know how it would get fixed and if insurance would cover it, but I move on and quickly let it go.

The appointment continues and the dental assistant is nice and informs me she thinks I may have a few cavities on my lower teeth and that's fine we're communicating. After my teeth get cleaned the dentist comes back in and quickly gets to work looking at my Xrays but rather than say anything she just sighs heavily the whole time. And when I mention that my left lower molar has been bothering me she doesn't ask about it or tell me if there's something wrong with it she just starts going over my teeth and telling the assistant numbers and letters. I have no idea whats going on the whole time or how many cavities she's found and she won't tell me anything. She gets up and leaves and I slowly get up, still somewhat confused I head to reception where the dentist and my mom are waiting. The dentist tells my mom I'll need a few appointments and when my mom asks how many cavities I have she doesn't answer, So we leave after booking one appointments for friday and in the car on the way home my mom lectures me on brushing more, even though I brush morning and night.

It's finally once we're home and the dentist office calls about a cancellation they had that we finally find out through the receptionist that I have 10 cavities! So now my mom is pissed at me and I just can't wait till I have these dealt with so I can move on to a better dentist.

Anyone else dealing with a shitty Dentist? or have a Dentist horror story?
 
Alright so I've had dental problems my whole life, I had braces for about three years, and I've been getting a few cavities every year. Now that I'm older, I'm only 20 so not that old, I seem to be getting more, last year I had 12 cavities, 12! Though I have a feeling the Bulimia I had for a few years, Which I still relapse through every few weeks played a part in that. So All those cavities used up all my parents insurance and I had to wait until now to go for another cleaning and checkup. Already I know there is going to be a problem because my front tooth got chipped a few moths ago and one of my lower left molars has been bothering me when I eat.

So when I go in today I`m already nervous enough to dry heave the whole way to the dentists office. I get in and the dentist checks in quickly and I ask her about my chipped tooth, if it can be fixed and how it would be fixed and she just brushes me off saying it can be fixed. That already has me a bit annoyed because I wanted to know how it would get fixed and if insurance would cover it, but I move on and quickly let it go.

The appointment continues and the dental assistant is nice and informs me she thinks I may have a few cavities on my lower teeth and that's fine we're communicating. After my teeth get cleaned the dentist comes back in and quickly gets to work looking at my Xrays but rather than say anything she just sighs heavily the whole time. And when I mention that my left lower molar has been bothering me she doesn't ask about it or tell me if there's something wrong with it she just starts going over my teeth and telling the assistant numbers and letters. I have no idea whats going on the whole time or how many cavities she's found and she won't tell me anything. She gets up and leaves and I slowly get up, still somewhat confused I head to reception where the dentist and my mom are waiting. The dentist tells my mom I'll need a few appointments and when my mom asks how many cavities I have she doesn't answer, So we leave after booking one appointments for friday and in the car on the way home my mom lectures me on brushing more, even though I brush morning and night.

It's finally once we're home and the dentist office calls about a cancellation they had that we finally find out through the receptionist that I have 10 cavities! So now my mom is pissed at me and I just can't wait till I have these dealt with so I can move on to a better dentist.

Anyone else dealing with a shitty Dentist? or have a Dentist horror story?


Why don't you get a second opinion for so much work being done? That is what I am doing.
 
Why don't you get a second opinion for so much work being done? That is what I am doing.

I'm only back home for the week so I don't have enough time to go get a second opinion :redface:
 
Yes most of us have dental horror stories which is how we came to have dental phobia. We try not to go into too much detail on the "horror" so as not to trigger other people's fears who come here for help/ Do you have dental phobia? You don't seem to.
If you don't think you need the 10 fillings you do not have to go to that dentist. It does sound like they were rude and uncaring, but bulimia does cause severe tooth decay so it is a possibility that those cavities are real. I'm confused as to why you can't see a different dentist. If you have time to get 10 cavities filled you must have time to have an exam by a different dentist
 
Back
Top