• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Reaction to heat means root canal needed?

M

MountainMama

If a tooth is suddenly having pain when exposed to heat, does that mean the nerve is dying? So far, with the other teeth I have had go bad, they have all had sensitivity to the endo ice and cold, but never heat.

Last week, I was eating potato soup, and a piece of potato hit my first molar on the lower left. It gave me a jolt of pain, but quickly went away. I haven't really had anything too hot or cold since I have so many other issues right now.
Today, I was eating beef stew, and again some of the broth that was slightly hot touched that tooth and caused a jolt of pain.

Does this mean my streak of bad luck is continuing, and I may need another root canal or extraction?

Can I put it off for now? I am two weeks post extraction of a lower right molar, and am getting my upper left 2nd molar extracted next week. My front tooth is still hurting after the root canal last week.

I am barely holding on right now as it is. This is devastating to me.

Not necessarily, it's not a great sign but it doesn't mean the nerve is on the way out. I'd be more worried if the pain lingered for a while or started spontaneously.

Not necessarily, it's not a great sign but it doesn't mean the nerve is on the way out. I'd be more worried if the pain lingered for a while or started spontaneously.

It hasn't been spontaneous, but the last time it lingered for a few seconds. With the luck I have had lately, I am not holding out much hope. Thanks for replying. With getting my upper molar out next week, I will be back to a liquid diet again, since I am not supposed to chew on the other extraction site side for 6 weeks, due to the bone grafting. Hopefully not aggravating the tooth will help me at least avoid thinking about it. It if will at least last until January, insurance will cover half. So far none of the others even reacted to heat, which worries me that this one is worse

Back