• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really Nervous About First Cleaning Appointments with New Dentist Wednesday.

O

overbitestinks93

Really Nervous About First Cleaning Appointments with New Dentist Wednesday.

Hello everyone.

It has been over 3 months since I met my new dentist and had my one molar, and 4 bottom front teeth filled. I was really impressed with how much the staff cared about me during my consultation and 2 filling appointments. I was really anxious even with laughing gas and they didn't seemed annoyed by it. I had never gotten anxious about the dentist, but ever since February I've nervous about going to the dentist.

It's ironic that this comes right as I find the most caring dentistry I've ever had. It was mainly due to the fact that, not only did I have the 2 chipped teeth, but the fact that I had cavities in between all four of my lower front teeth. The fact that my other dentist not only ignored the chipped teeth for 7 years (making the one worse while trying to smooth it out during a filling in December), but also the fact that he missed the other cavities in between them.

My front teeth still have a metallic taste from the composite filling. Also, my teeth still feel sensitive when I eat something chewy or really crunchy and the far right bottom front tooth hurts every once in a while. That tooth is the most-chipped tooth and the one that chipped 7 years ago, so I'm nervous if I tell anyone that I will need a root canal. I know I shouldn't be nervous, but I'm also nervous about it hurting when they go to clean those teeth.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just nervous. I really don't want to tell the dentist that the one tooth is feeling a lot different, especially near the gum. (it never bothered me near the gum before, only on the tooth itself) Would you guys tell your dentists if you were in my situation? Thanks everyone.

Re: Really Nervous About First Cleaning Appointments with New Dentist Wednesday.

Hi overbitestinks93,
I think everyone here gets nervous around the dentist in one way or another, so no problem with the long post.

Personally, I would tell my hygienist or my dentist if something feels odd. In my case, most of the time the answer is that it's something normal and an explanation. I prefer to know what is going on because it helps to get me to calm my nerves.

Re: Really Nervous About First Cleaning Appointments with New Dentist Wednesday.

Hi overbitestinks93,
I think everyone here gets nervous around the dentist in one way or another, so no problem with the long post.

Personally, I would tell my hygienist or my dentist if something feels odd. In my case, most of the time the answer is that it's something normal and an explanation. I prefer to know what is going on because it helps to get me to calm my nerves.

Yeah. My fear is that if I tell them something feels odd, and that there is a chance something will be wrong and I will need more dental work. That's why I'm afraid to say anything.

Back