• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have an abscessed tooth. Really nervous!

1398_Days

I have a tooth that I'm almost certain is dead/dying. I had some pain in the tooth a few weeks ago, but it was fairly short lived. Since then it seems like I'm slowly losing all feeling in that tooth. So I've had very little pain in the tooth itself, but I noticed that my gums (right above the tooth) hurt when I press on them and they feel swollen. I kept looking in the mirror and couldn't see anything since the tooth is way in the back. But the other day I finally saw it: a bright red spot on my gums with what looks to be a small abscess in the middle.

I'm not sure what's going to happen.. will I need a root canal or an extraction? I'm leaning towards extraction because this tooth has been in bad shape for years. But I'm really nervous. One of the things I'm most nervous about is antibiotics. Long story short, I have lots of anxiety in regards to antibiotics and will do whatever I can do avoid taking them. But an extraction is likely what's going to happen, in which case I probably won't need antibiotics, right? Either way, I could really use some support. I'm trying to put off going to the dentist as long as possible.. which probably isn't wise if there's an infection. But yeah.. any support/advice would be appreciated!

I have a tooth that I'm almost certain is dead/dying. I had some pain in the tooth a few weeks ago, but it was fairly short lived. Since then it seems like I'm slowly losing all feeling in that tooth. So I've had very little pain in the tooth itself, but I noticed that my gums (right above the tooth) hurt when I press on them and they feel swollen. I kept looking in the mirror and couldn't see anything since the tooth is way in the back. But the other day I finally saw it: a bright red spot on my gums with what looks to be a small abscess in the middle.

I'm not sure what's going to happen.. will I need a root canal or an extraction? I'm leaning towards extraction because this tooth has been in bad shape for years. But I'm really nervous. One of the things I'm most nervous about is antibiotics. Long story short, I have lots of anxiety in regards to antibiotics and will do whatever I can do avoid taking them. But an extraction is likely what's going to happen, in which case I probably won't need antibiotics, right? Either way, I could really use some support. I'm trying to put off going to the dentist as long as possible.. which probably isn't wise if there's an infection. But yeah.. any support/advice would be appreciated!

Hi there :)

I had an abscess crop up on a root canalled, cracked, gum lengthened tooth about 10 days ago. I wouldn't like to say what your tooth will need as i am not a dentist, but you could ask in that section of the forum. My tooth has already been root canalled and is cracked, so requires extraction, or if i am not brave enough, a hemisection, but your tooth has not been root canalled so that could be a possibility. If yours is a root canal, all i can say is that have had many root canals, and didn't feel a thing during (i have iv sedation) or after treatment. The symptom of a root canal for me is always a reaction to hot and cold and some pain (bearable).

Regarding the antibiotics, I had pretty much the same concerns as you and posted a question in the 'ask a dentist section of the forum' last week. In all probability you won't need them. I have massive problems with them for a number of reasons. I am in the uk and for all 5 (or so) root canals, and gum lengthening treatment, i have never once been given them. i visited my endodontist only yesterday, and he too said he doubted i would need them. My dentist scanned my teeth yesterday, and said i had lost some bone due to the infection which had been rumbling on in this tooth unknown to me, prior to the abscess rocking up. I dont want to have an extraction, but logical me is saying i need to get the tooth sorted as i will need an implant and a good firm base for it to go in to.

I know its hard not to worry, but having had a lot of root canals, I got to see that for me they weren't the major scarey thing i thought they were.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you are a healthy person, most likely you will not get any antibiotics. Dentists often offer antibiotics to shorten the discomfort. For a low-grade infection there is no need for that.
An extraction is a legitimate treatment option, one of the reasons for that is that it gives certainty (once the tooth is out, the source of the infection is permanently gone) but if the tooth is treatable dentists tend to recommend to preserve the tooth and to choose for extraction only as a last resort.

Back