• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Recedding Gums cause of Denture Wear

A

Anxious

What am I supposed to do to prevent the problem from becoming worse please? My Dentist told me to floss and apply a kind of gel for 2 weeks. This gel is something against bacteria. He said that that feeling that I have a whole won't go away though. :( It all started when I felt I had a whole somewhere in between 2 of my top molars. I could also feel it was a bit, not painful, but sore kind of. I can't really explain. :unsure: It doesn't hurt if I don't do anything to it like checking it. And it's not the tooth that is like this but the gum in between. The Dentist told be that the molars are ok and I have no wholes, but I have two spots in my gums which are recedding from denture wear.

What am I supposed to do to prevent the problem from becoming worse please? My Dentist told me to floss and apply a kind of gel for 2 weeks. This gel is something against bacteria. He said that that feeling that I have a whole won't go away though. :( It all started when I felt I had a whole somewhere in between 2 of my top molars. I could also feel it was a bit, not painful, but sore kind of. I can't really explain. :unsure: It doesn't hurt if I don't do anything to it like checking it. And it's not the tooth that is like this but the gum in between. The Dentist told be that the molars are ok and I have no wholes, but I have two spots in my gums which are recedding from denture wear.

'Thank you' to everyone for NOT answering! :(

I am really sorry that you didn't get an answer to this, I did see it when it was first put on but as I don't know the answer I thought I would leave it for a dentist to answer.

I think what your dentist said is quite correct in that if you get a bit of food stuck inbetween your teeth and it can cause the gums to come away from the tooth a bit which can cause soreness and infection. By flossing it ensures that you get inbetween the teeth and any bits of food are dislodged you could also rinse with mouth wash mid day too or after eating to keep your mouth clear.

I usually brush morning and last thing at night, I floss at least once a day often more, I also use mouth wash after eating a lot of the time. This will all keep your gums healthy and in turn will keep your teeth healthy too.

I think you have been missed because the dentist are not on all the time and it could have slipped down the list. I hope you feel you can continue to come on here, we have not ignored you on purpose, and I am sorry I usually try and just say hi when a question has been up a while and had no replies.

Sorry :cupcake::cupcake::cupcake::flowers::butterfly: are we forgiven now :(

How sweet and kind of you! Many thanks for all the info! :thankyou:I'm feeling quite frustrated about this prob as I'm still young and I don't want to have other problems especially if they can be avoided. Thanks again! :)

You are most welcome. If your gum is still sore go back to the dentist and ask him to have another look, if the gel is not working he should be able to come up with some reason, or investigate. If you go back he may be able to do something with the denture to stop it from rubbing and causing this to happen. Often a quick alteration on the denture can cure some things.

If you feel he isn't listening to you or trying to address your problem see if you can find another dentist that will try to help if this problem doesn't go away.

I really feel for you, I know dental pain makes you feel terrible and worried. I am hoping one of the dentists on here will come along and try to give you some idea of what might help.

You could also pm one of the dentists on here and ask them too, they may see your thread quicker. The dentists that come on here do it free of charge and are working dentists too so they come on as often as they can to try and help us.

There is a section on here that will tell you who the dentists are and where they are from if you don't know, but just to give you a starter Rob Wain, Dr Daniel, Comfortdentist, Gordon and Dr Hirst are just some of them.

I hope you can get this sorted out soon, :clover: :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please, I am very interested to hear how you go on with all this :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

Hi again, I sent a pm to Gordon some days ago, but he didn't reply. :( No probs! :) I think I'm actually getting better finally, :jump:and I noticed nothing seems to work better than salt and water so I will keep using it. Thanks again!

Hi Gordon hasn't been on much lately so he could be busy at the moment, and now I have said that he will pop up now just to prove me wrong. Rob Wain seems to be on quite a lot at the moment along with Dr Daniel and Comfortdentist, maybe you could try one of those.

Rob is in Newcastle UK
Dr Daniel is in Holland
Comfortdentist is in the USA

I am glad the salt water is helping a bit. Keep going you will get there :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Have you been back to your dentist yet and asked him to have another look. Are you flossing or is it too painful. You can also get the interdental brushes, I like wisdom ones as they are rubber and feel kinder to our gums. :butterfly:

:) I haven't gone because I'm kind of ok now, but if I feel something again I will definately go. Many thanks!

Hi there, I hope you can reply cause I'm REALLY down and frustrated. :cry: A few weeks ago, I went to the Dentist cause the prob I had kind of came back. He said all was ok. I also noticed that my molar, the one I have the denture clipped to, had the filling kind of cracked so I told the Dentist to check that as well. He said it was nothing. So obviously I thought that after all I was worried for nothing. Some days pass, and as I was eating I felt this sharp pain in this tooth. I checked it and I could see nothing different but I defanitly couldn't eat on it cause it hurt. Well, 2 days pass and part of the filling comes off, as I had presumed it would, so I do a quick app with my Dentist. After he checked things, he told me that part of my tooth was cracked and it had to come off PLUS this tooth had a cavity!! It is very deep and all is left is just the surrounding of the tooth. Cause I had filled it about 2 other times before this. He told me he could only do a temp filling at the moment and that HOPEFULLY it wouldn't come off. Now to make things worse, he's off for a month so the proper filling can't be done before this time. He told me not to eat on it so not to stress it more I presume. Now I'm REALLY upset as I feel I WAS right from the start in thinking that something was wrong, and although I went about 3 times to him, and paid him for this, he didn't realize what the prob was! It kind of had to break and open up for him to realize! And as I said before, this molar, and the one parallel to it, have the denture clipped to them. So if something happens to this molar, or the other, like for example having to pull this out, I will need to do another denture!! MORE money MORE frustration!!!! :brickwall: Now all I want to know please, is if there's a way to make the filling last long like a month becuase if this too comes off I don't know what I'm going to do!!! :o Many thanks

Hi Anxious oh don't we just have some dental adventures, it drives us mad at times as you know. On the subject of the temp filling I have been having a root canal re-treatment and over 5 visits I have had temp filling put in the tooth which has had to last up to 6 weeks. I haven't eaten on that side as such and the filling has been fine and lasted well. I was worried because I clench at night and even through the day sometimes and I thought I would break the filling and the tooth as it was weakened by having the rct twice. The temp filling had to be taken out and replaced after each appointment and I never had a problem of it coming out or breaking. I do now have a perm filling in and that is also fine so try not to worry too much about it.

If you did end up losing the tooth at some point they may be able to add a tooth to your denture and not do the whole thing. There should also be an emergency dentist you could see whilst yours is away, so if anything did happen you should be able to get it replaced.

I hope things stay okay for you all the best :butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

Hi Anxious,
its hard to say how long the temporary filling will last but you can help it by not chewing on it and particularly by being careful when you fit or remove the denture.
If the filling does come out then you can always see a nother dentist to get it patched up.
best of luck

Many thanks to all for your support and info! I'm feeling a bit better now. :)

Back