• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Registering at a new dentist

  • Thread starter Thread starter staze
  • Start date Start date
S

staze

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
46
Hi there 1st of all this forum has been a great help to me the last couple of years
I have just found out that my current dentist is selling up and been advised to find a new one (not happy but these things happen) what I want to know does your history follow you when you register elsewhere or do you have to go through it all again
getting myself worked up about this as I'm currently in the middle of getting treatment and I don't know what to do
 
Not sure where you live, but in the US it was mandated that all patient health files have to be electronic, and they can even be accessed by any doctor you go to, including your primary care doctor. If you are not in the US, you could go to the office and ask for your records, which will include all procedures and x-rays. In the US it is a patient right to be able to access this information. I'm not sure how it works in other countries.

-Nurse Doogie
 
ThNks it the UK i live

if your dentist is selling their practice, then if a new dentist takes over, usually you carry on being a patient there unless you decide to go elsewhere.

I'm not sure how they would make arrangements for your records to be sent to a new practice because unless you found somewhere else before they sold their practice, then they wouldn't know where to send your records. However, when you register at a new dental practice (NHS or private), your first appointment is a 'new patient appointment' where they do a thorough examination and take any x-rays that may be needed as well as discussing your previous dental history, treatment and any problems. It's useful for them to see your previous records because it gives them information about your previous treatment, but it's not essential because they create their own records, starting with a thorough examination of your mouth and then planning any treatment that you might need from there. If you're in the middle of treatment when you go to a new practice, then this is something that you would discuss with your new dentist at your first appointment. Is there no way that you could finish your current course of treatment before your dentist leaves? Is it an NHS or private dentist? If it's NHS, you could try visiting the NHS website and searching the database for NHS dentists in your area. Your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG - they replaced Primary Care Trusts earlier this year in England, not sure about the rest of the UK) might also have information about NHS dentists in your area.

Good luck - let us know how it goes :thumbsup:.
 
Hi you can get a copy of your dental records and take them with you to the new dentist office. It costs £50.00 for paper copies they cannot copy x rays very well so they will probably not be copied. If the records are digital then they an give you copies for £10.00 they will be printed out but you will then have them to take with you when you move.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:
 
Thanks very much for the replies you have given don't know what to do as I trusted my dentist and now need to go through it all again I know these things happen and it needs to be dealt with
just another wee question the treatment I've still to get is to see to a tooth that's been filled a bit of te filling has broken away so can this be left as it's not causing any pain
 
Oh, I can certainly sympathise! My new (lovely, lovely) dentist who I started seeing in July told me last week that he was leaving that Friday. I am very anxious about seeing the new dentist who has taken over, and trying to decide if I'm going to make the very long journey to my dentist's new surgery. I have just finished antibiotics and my next appointment is supposed to be for a root canal treatment. Gulp!

Maybe you could see the new dentist just for a chat to get a feel for whether he is someone you might be able to work with? Good luck. :clover:
 
Back
Top