• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Relieving Invisalign pain? Please help.

J

joinedoutoffear

I just started Invisalign and the pain is horrible. I know it'll fade in a few days but I have a very low pain tolerance and I can barely function. I've got to go to work and I have no clue how I'm gonna get through it! Should I take both Ibuprofen and Tylenol? What else can I do?

I didn't get invisalign but got the regular metal braces. I mostly waited out the pain. It does get better. I did take ibuprofen on 2 occasions when the pain was unbearable. You can try ibuprofen too, they seem to work very well with dental pain. Other than that, you can also try warm salt water rinses.

Sorry to hear you are having some pain. As others have said it won’t last. When I got mine my dentist gave me a rubber chew toy which had tooth sized slots in it and believe it or not biting down gently does help with the pain. There is also a device called an acceledent (sp) which although expensive helps a lot. I used it and it also cuts down the time between tray changes. I was changing trays at one week not two. Talk to your dentist and good luck with the whole Invisalign experience. It takes some commitment, but It is really worth it.

Back