• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Request for dental records and X-rays.

sudzs

sudzs

Just a quick question re. dental records.

I am going to register with a new dentist and am wondering if they can request my dental records, including X-rays, from my old dentist. I really don't want to have another lot taken as I have had 2 full sets taken within the last year. Is it all straight forward or can a dentist refuse to give them over?

Thaks! :)

I think they usually oblige other dental professionals, and if your new dentist is nice they wont pressure you into having new ones taken. I guess it's a test of the new dentist's integrity too.

Thanks annie778. :)

Though I think in this case it might be more of a test of my ex-dentists integrity as I am curious to see if there was any decay in an upper incisor he filled. My previous dentist never mentioned it. Though he did a shoddy job on a couple of crowns... :(

hello sudzs,

you can certainly ask for dental records. They will copy the xrays and give you the duplicates. there is usually a fee for the copying process. if the office is digital then they can print out those for you. very straightforward.

Best to you,
Dr. Shirley

Thanks for that Dr. Shirley! :)

So if I got impatient to see my x-rays could I email the office and ask for copies to be emailed to me?? Or is it only other dentists they would be obliged to send them to?

Would a practice delete records of an ex-patient or do they keep them for a while?

Many thanks again !

This is the UK position according to the British Dental Health Foundation.

What happens to my records if I change my dentist?

Your records belong to your dentist, and are not passed on to your new dentist. Your new dentist can ask your previous dentist for a report on your dental treatment or you can ask for copies of your records to be sent to your new dentist. However, most dentists simply make their own records. Under the NHS, dentists have to keep dental records for at least 2 years, but it is recommended that they keep them for a minimum of 11 years for adults. Most private dentists will keep the records for the same amount of time as the NHS recommendation.

Can I see my records?

The Data Protection Act 1998 allows you to inspect your records and x-rays. It also entitles you to copies of your records and x-rays, but you have to pay for these. If you have any problems in understanding what the records mean the dentist has a duty to explain them to you. This will be especially common with dental records, as the dentist will use symbols and abbreviations to record what treatment has been done. The dentist must allow you to see your records or provide you with copies within 40 days, upon your written request. The dentist is entitled to charge you up to £50 for copies of dental records and x-rays.

Thanks a million brit, you're a star! I'm certainly keeping you busy this morning! But great to know I can now get my records and I don't mind paying for them for the peace of mind.

I suppose an email would count as written request, or would it??

One more question slightly off topic, will any decay in an upper incisor be obvious? Could it ever be the case that one would only detect it "in real life"? Though I would imagine the x-ray would be more reliable... :confused:

Last edited:
Hi sudzs,

I just realized you were in the UK through Brit's reply. In the US also, the patient would be the one giving consent to release the copies of the records either to themselves or to their new dentist.

as far as decay underneath an upper incisor to be obvious on an xray it would be at least medium to a large cavity. I have found that I am able to detect decay clinically (especially on the incisors) that is oftentimes not yet seen on an xray. If I waited for the decay to progress, eventually the xray would be able to pick it up and be seen on the xray. Therefore, I diagnose what I see in the mouth, and take care of the decay while it is still small to medium in size. There's noneed to wait for the decay to be larger before it is taken care of. xrays are good diagnostic tools but are definitely not the sole basis to go off of to make a clinical diagnosis.

If you have further questions, PM me and that way I'll be sure to answer it for you.

BEst to you,
Dr. Shirley

Back