• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal and two extractions done after over 15 yr of not going to dentist

Z

zelbic

Root Canal and two extractions done after over 15 yr of not going to dentist

I came across this site a number of years ago after I realized that I was so afraid of going to the dentist it would send me into panic attacks just thinking about it.

I read on this site something called IV sedation and it sounded like the best thing I could have possibly imagined. But because of how severe my anxiety was I still put it off and ignored there was a problem. Until finally met my lovely supportive wife. I admitted to her how bad my anxiety about going to the dentist was and she made me go. Knowing it was the right thing to do.

I met with the dentist and made them aware of just how badly scared I was. And thankfully throughout those years of being diligent on keeping my dental hygiene clean because I refused to go to the dentist, it turned out I only needed 1 root canal and two back teeth pulled.

The day before the surgery they gave me two sleeping pills so I would have a good nights sleep and then a started dosage of the oral sedation. I took the oral sedation an hour before my appointment and was very disappointed and scared when I still felt like I was conscious when my wife dropped me off at the dentist. However they brought me back and continued to give me oral sedation and eventually I became so relaxed that I didn't care what was going on.

The funny thing was for much of the visit I remember but I didn't really feel anxiety, especially during the cleaning and during the root canal part. When they switched over to the pulling of the teeth I became a little apprehensive but when I felt any sort of remote pressure I said something to do the dentist and he made sure to add more local.

After the procedure was over my wife of course drove me home as I was still loopy and unable to walk myself on my own, and even now what I feel much more awake and in control of myself I am not allowed to go anywhere for the rest of the day. :p

Bottom line, after 15 years of letting this cast a shadow over my life, I am finally free! And I am glad I can remember parts of the visit that helps me realize that there is nothing for me to be scared of, so that I can go again and not need the sedation. I am just so happy!!:jump:

Back