• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal help asap!!

P

Puella

So I had my first root canal treatment today. I've still got two more appoitments to go until it's completed. They numbed me up completely and it was fab I couldn't feel a thing. Few hours later the numbing wares off and I'm in severe pain, crying my eyes out that I went to A&E and got some painkillers and numbing gel. Next appointment is in a week. How can I cope and deal with this awful awful pain until it's over???

Hi Puella,
Ouch! You can sometimes get this type of after pain especially on the first visit. Keep taking the painkillers regularly, they work better if you do not let them wear off. It will settle after a day or so.
Hope this help
Lincoln

Hi Puella,
Ouch! You can sometimes get this type of after pain especially on the first visit. Keep taking the painkillers regularly, they work better if you do not let them wear off. It will settle after a day or so.
Hope this help
Lincoln
Its been about 24hours since the awful pain started but it's gone down so much now with help from Ibuprofen and Anadin. There's still a constant dull ache but it's alright. Will I experience the same thing after my second appointment?

Its been about 24hours since the awful pain started but it's gone down so much now with help from Ibuprofen and Anadin. There's still a constant dull ache but it's alright. Will I experience the same thing after my second appointment?

Glad you are feeling better. As Dr Hirst suggested it is likely more common after the first visit. It doesn't happen to everyone though and many people experience nothing untoward or just mild soreness afterwards. Don't let this experience put you off saving your teeth rather than extracting them.

Another tip is to start taking the painkillers before the numbing has worn off. It is easier to prevent pain than to get rid of it once it has started!

Great advice from Brit and Letsconnect. The chances are that you will have much less of a problem after the next visit.

Lincoln

Back