• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal nervousness - dental dam

S

Stormclouds12

Hi all. It’s been helpful reading how some experiences have gone. I’m so anxious. I have a RC in a couple days and after meeting with the endo, he prescribed Halcion to help w my anxiety. I told him I’m most anxious about the rubber dam and not being able to swallow. Like when I got the back tooth worked on for crown prep, I had to close my mouth multiple times to get the sensation of swallowing. This same tooth is the one that needs rc. He said we can take breaks but not to remove the dam or block (it’s possible but takes time). So he said the Halcion will help what I’m anxious about. It’s 2-3 visits and I’m very nervous. Anyone who has taken Halcion for aid in the rubber dam anxiety side - please let me know that it wasn’t as bad as you thought. And that staying open for that time will be okay. I just need reassurance please ❤️

Last edited:
Never used Halcion, it's not available here, but patients with other oral sedatives generally do pretty well with them. The prop will help a lot by taking the strain off your mouth while it's open for a while.

Also the dam helps immensely, it stops loads of water spraying into your mouth from the dental tools, so you won't feel your mouth is filling up so much and the urge to swallow should be less.

This information helps, thank you so much. I’ve never *not* been able to close my mouth for dental work so it’s scaring me. I truly hope the oral sedation will help enough where I don’t panic about not being able to swallow and/or close mouth. Thank you so much for the reply

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

Can I just add my own experience of having the rubber dam for 2 root canals in the past. I had actually never heard of them and was quite surprised when the endodontist told me about it. I didn't have any sedation even though I was extremely anxious. Both my appointments were for 2hrs and on neither occasion did I feel any discomfort with the dam, in fact I felt reassured that it was stopping all the stuff going into my mouth and I don't recall feeling the need to swallow at all during the treatment.

@Gordon thank you, I will!

@Mercedes Thank you so much for adding your input. It's the day and I am SO nervous right now and feeling blech. I have 2 hours for the first visit today and probably 2 for the next one.. so reading your experience this morning helps. Thank you

Back