• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal On Thursday!! Super scared and nervous

It depends on where I go to get the crown done I think. The place where I had my root canal (there's only two dentists, a wife and husband) allows music and movies. I'm not sure if I want to go back there, I'm embarrassed to have made such a fuss during the root canal even though the staff really were some of the nicest people I've met. And when I think about that office, I associate it with pain now :hmm: I don't know if my usual dentist office allows it but I'm quite comfortable and confident in the staff there so I don't think I would feel such a big need for it there.

I am so sorry your experience was a negative one. I wouldn't want to go back to the dentist that did the rct, I don't think I could have sat through it either.

I am glad you have got it done, please don't let it put you off keeping up to your dental appointments.

Let us know what you decide to do, is the tooth feeling okay now? :butterfly:

Sorry that you had to go through that but I bet you are stronger now and even more happy that it's over and that you can move in with out the stress .

I'm just reading this thread now and am so sorry that you had a bad experience with the RCT. Like the others on this forum, both of mine were also very easy (as least from the patient's perspective!). I am difficult to get numb (especially the back bottom teeth) and required more local anesthetic during the procedures, but it was relatively smooth sailing once I was good and numb. Congrats to you on getting through it.

As far as the crown goes there will be more drilling as the dentist will need to make space all the way around the tooth to accommodate the crown. The good news is that you will not feel anything b/c the nerves in the tooth are now gone from the RCT. The dentist should still give you some local anesthetic for the latter part of the crown preparation as s/he will be working around the gum line. The dentist will also take impressions during the crown preparation (probably 2 times -- once for the temporary crown and once for the permanent crown). As I'm sure the endo told you, it's really important to get a crown placed on the tooth in order to protect it.

Best of luck to you! And, congrats again for getting through the RCT!

Back