• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root tip extraction

S

Steves LX

I had a tooth(#20) extracted by an oral surgeon under IV sedation last year. Over the past few months that area has been sensitive off and on. I have a lower partial and some days cant wear it because my gum in that area hurts to bad. I had my dentist look at it and she took an X-ray. She said it was a root tip or part of the root that was left there. This tooth had a root canal done about 6 months before I had it extracted. Apparently it was fractured and constantly bothered me even after the root canal. So I had the tooth pulled like said earlier. I want to feel better but I am a little worried about having this procedure done. I am scheduled to go under IV sedation tomorrow and the oral surgeon is suppose to go fishing I guess for this root.. Just the thought of having to cut my gum and drill or dig to get this root makes me cringe. Is it any worse than having the tooth itself extracted? Am I worrying for nothing? Any help and what to expect during and after would great.

Hi,
I am pretty sure it will go much more smoothly than what you experience with the tooth extraction.
To begin with, you will not feel pressure applied during the treatment, and there is good chance the surgeon will not need to drill. In short, it should be a quiet treatment without discomfort.
The surgeon will have to open the gums and you might have some discomfort during the first few days, but if the surgeon works professionally and you receive the right medications, the discomfort will be short and easy.
I am certain you will be pleased.

Back