• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of scaling and root planing and hygenist giving novacaine.. first time..ughhhhh

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scared of scaling and root planing and hygenist giving novacaine.. first time..ughhhhh

So it was recommended for the first time I have have scaling and root planing. I have terrible fear in first place of any dental procedure.. I know it didn't helpwatching the you tube videos but I did anyways. Ive only seen this hygenist once. she seemed very gentle and nice.. /compassionate..so i'm going to go through with it. butI do fear the potential of her giving me the anesthetic which is doable in my state.. how canI nicely ask for Dr to do it instead, I kjnow he is ok with it... painfree.. and.... has anyone had this... any tips.. ugh... :( :(... its tomorrow and i'm almost thinking of chickening out but don't want to lose more teeth... I also don't want this to loosen my teeth as to cause them to fall out.... help.....

Re: Scared of scaling and root planing and hygenist giving novacaine.. first time..ughhhhh

You can definitely ask if the dentist is available to give you the anesthetic, though they may not be available. It might help if you phone the morning before your appointment to ask if it would be possible. It might not be, but there is no harm in asking for things to make you more comfortable.

The discomfort is usually the worst part of such procedures, but anesthetic will minimise this. Don't be afraid to ask for frequent breaks if you need them.

Remember to focus on the outcome when you feel yourself wavering. Losing more teeth will only cause more fuss later on. Future you will be super grateful for this. It'll be very worth it.

Hang in there :hug4:

Re: Scared of scaling and root planing and hygenist giving novacaine.. first time..ughhhhh

Sevena..

Thank you for your encouragement.. I took it to mind and sent this letter to my dental office this morning... hoping it helps...

Hi, So I'm going to vocalize some fears.. so maybe you guys can help me when I go there today.. This is the first time I"m having scaling and root planing. I'm a "little " nervous... maybe alot...I know its only three teeth but they are three really important chewing teeth.. I don't have many left :( You know a little how I'm a pretty anxious dental patient however I get over it fairly quickly once someone earn my trust.. so far so good over there.. phew.. anyways.. #1. always afraid of the novocaine shot... especialy with new people , after watching youtube videos.. it mentions often times the hygenist does the injection. I Loved Judy , I was super impressed .. but.. im SOO.... bad with the needles and Dr F did amazing last time, didn't even feel it... is it possible he could do the injection , then it would make me less nervous.. Just asking.. #2. I"m really nervous about losing anymore teeth and I know I probably should NOT have.. watched the youtube videos... but. it looks like teeth can be loose and wobbly.. after.. so just want to make sure its safe in that regards.. ugh.. I seriously thought about chickening out... on this.. but not going to...I know I'm not the only chicken adult patient. But I thought if I vocalize my fears.. well.. maybe it might help... I'll get better overtime..

What do you thinnk???? I hope ok.. ugh.

Hi.

I just saw your post now for the first time.

I'm sorry you are stressed and that you need the root scaling and planing treatment.

I actually went through this 1-2 years ago. I used the laughing gas because I was so nervous, but I didn't ask for the novacaine shots and wished I had gotten them. I think the hygenist used a numbing gel, but it wasn't enough. The good thing was that the laughing gas helps calm you and helps some with the pain. I had my whole mouth done in one sitting. Without the laughing gas I would have been a nervous wreck.

I hope all goes well. Keep us updated.

JJ

Hi everyone.

So I just got back 2 hours ago. And it could not have possibly went better. I am less nervous now. My hygenist was a total gem!!! Very sweet, compassionate, understanding. competant!! The dentist did give me the first shot but I needed more so I let her give me more and she did great!! They were both So great!! I would go back and do it tomorrow .. but... i'm busy lol well... my gums are just a little sore but not bad... amazing dental team I love them and don't have to be as nervous now!!! :) :) thanks all for encouragement!! I not only lived through it but actually a great experience moving past my fears and anxieties.

Kelly

Back