• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

SCARED out of my mind! Wisdom Teeth Removal!

M

Musiclover

:cry: So today my sister and I went to the oral surgeon for our wisdom teeth consultation. I am extremely scared of needles, and I asked if I had to get an IV. He said no, the only time you would get an IV is for general. He saw that I saw was really nervous (I was crying I was so nervous), so he said we could do a topical cream so I hopefully won't feel the pinch of the local shots in my mouth. I am doing a steroid, relaxing pill an hour before (I do not know what it is called), oral sedation (is this the same thing as the relaxing pill??), local, and gas. He also said the procedure for all 4 teeth is only about 10-15 minutes but I should prepare to be there for 30-45 minutes.

When we got home (I forgot to ask there) I asked my Mom if I would be able to have her in the room, to help calm me down, and then once I was numbed she could leave. My Mom said that they would probably discourage it because having her there might freak me out even more. Though, I would feel a lot more comfortable if she was there until I was numbed, because if I freak out, she might be the only one to calm me down. So any dentists or anyone who has had a parent go back with them, would you think it would be okay for my Mom to go back with me and then leave once I was numbed or she could leave once they started me on the gas? When I got my first cavity filled, I was crying for Mom!!:cry::cry::cry:
I am extremely nervous... so I am going to be listening to music and have my eyes closed. I would really like to hear words of encouragement because I am so nervous! :cry:Thank you for responding to this!

Last edited:
Aww you poor thing Im so sorry your afraid. :(
Your very brave for not wanting an IV though, thats what most prefer. (and to me I liked it because it eased my anxiety...Though Im not really afraid of needles.) That oral pill thing sounds really heavenly though! :) I think it'll benefit you.

Your mom will be there until you are numb but then they will most likely ask for her to leave.

For me my bf and his mom stayed until the dentist stuck the IV needle in me. (I was told from my bf that they ended up having to leave a few mins after that)

you can do this. :XXLhug: