• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared witless

E

EmilyG92

Hi all not sure if I'm doing all this right as iv never ever used this sort of thing, I'm due an emergency dentist appointment and am looking at without a doubt having 2 teeth removed, one being a wisdom tooth. I haven't been to a dentist since I was 16 years old (I am now 23) due to an irrational fear, the sounds, the smells, the dentist himself peering over me! The most iv ever had was a filling, so the thought of actually having one removed fills me with dread, does it hurt? Will I be uncomfortable afterwards, what is the whole experience like?
TIA

First, welcome! And, yes, you are in the right place.

Extractions are actually generally way quicker and way easier than fillings. My top 2 wisdoms teeth (the ones that had already come in) were both taken out in less than five minutes. I didn't even realize they were because I didn't feel it at all! It took longer to get numb than to have the teeth extracted! After, you may have some discomfort, but nothing that over-the-counter pain medication won't fix.

Because you are younger than I was, it should be even easier because the roots may not be as fully formed yet.

I also went periods of many years without going to a dentist. I even went at one point when I was about your age (hadn't been since I got my braces off when I was 17). I saw a dentist a few times and then she got sick and I didn't go back again until I was 30yo. When I went back then (at 30), I finally found an awesome dentist who I've been going to for more than 7 yrs now. It's weird to say, but it's just in the last 6 months or so that I've stopped being horribly anxious every time I go. So, I'd encourage you, once you're out of this emergency situation to try to find a dentist who you can start to trust so that you can begin to have regular dental care - it will save you a whole lot of troubles in the long run!

Best of luck to you and please let us know how it goes.

Back