• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scotland, Covid, and dentists - where are we now?

Judythecat

Judythecat

Hello, can any dentists help, please? I’m in Scotland, and just wondering where we were at with dentistry? I’m an NHS patient, but my surgery is mixed.

I’m having terrible pain, and not sure if it’s my actual teeth, or my atypical facial pain/neuralgia flaring up. I suspect it’s probably the latter, as it’s on the outside of my teeth at my cheek, and it’s the usual burny feeling, in upper left which is my usual hotspot. But I would really like to get checked out just in case. I rang today but the surgery was closed this afternoon for training, so I have sent an email, stressing that it is not urgent.

I feel SO guilty for asking for an appointment, but also know if it is a tooth that needs treatment it would be better to be seen sooner rather than later. Can dentists do treatment just now or would I be shipped off to a hub? (If you were my dentist would you think I was a total pain?)

Thanks so much for reading if you did.

Just now, if you needed a filling or anything involving generating an aerosol, you'd be sent to a treatment hub. From 1st Nov aerosol generating procedures are allowed in practices, but we're still to see how it would work out.
Having said that, your dentist can look at you just now and take any necessary x-rays etc, so ask for an appointment.

Just now, if you needed a filling or anything involving generating an aerosol, you'd be sent to a treatment hub. From 1st Nov aerosol generating procedures are allowed in practices, but we're still to see how it would work out.
Having said that, your dentist can look at you just now and take any necessary x-rays etc, so ask for an appointment.

Thanks so much, Gordon. My dentist phoned this morning and based on my symptoms she thinks it is the neuralgia, but I am going in next Wednesday to get looked at. If it does end up needing treatment it would be after 1 November, so hopefully she could do it rather than send me on. (But fingers crossed it will be an appointment where I come away feeling awful for wasting her time.)

I was talking to one of my former team of dentists today, they're basically bored stiff, they're not allowed to do much and a lot of patients are staying away anyhow. They'll probably be pleased to see you for a bit of variety!

I had to go in in the summer to get a new mouthguard and my dentist was VERY chatty! (She is always lovely, mind.)

Just updating to say I went in today, and no dental issues were found, so “just” the neuralgia.

She also did as much of a checkup of my full mouth as possible without using the puffer thing, all fine. Gums were 0 on the bottom, and 0/1 on top - wee bit of inflammation between two top teeth which both have fillings. No tartar anywhere.

Back