• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Second appointment was a bust.

L

lbenzineb

The sedation didn't work, even after a second dose. Remember everything. Felt everything. Heard everything. Smelled everything. Wasn't even numb enough. Could only sit there and cry. Never felt like such a failure. Back to square one. I'll never be okay going to the dentist. I have one more appt. left next Monday. I give up.

You can't give up! Keep trying hell i would say go without oral sedation. if you dont mind needle you should be ok with minor pain(not for long tho). I dont know what is going on but you can do it. For me it works to tell my self that there is no other option and with time i will get used to it(not intense pain i will never get used to that) and it will make me more relaxed as time goes by.

My dentist uses liquid Versed. I can't afford IV sedation. $570 an hour. I shouldn't say the sedation didn't work. It worked the drive from the dentist's office to home. That's it. Next Monday, I am going to do exactly what I did the first time it did work. I am going to make sure I take my morning medications. And take Zofran before I leave the house. That will be exactly what I did the first time. It did not help that his regular assistant was not there. She is so reassuring. I hated having my old crowns taken off and then he filled some cavities and I was not numb enough. He gave me another shot, which helped some. Needles don't necessarily bother me as long as I know there's no drilling involved. When my permanent crowns come in, he'll numb me and glue them on and I can take that. When I have to go in for planing and scaling, they will numb my gums. Not sure about that one. The last 4 fillings are on front teeth. I don't like having them worked on because they are extra sensitive. I appreciate you kind words, I was just so disappointed to find that what I thought was going to work failed me.

oh no that sucks, ah now im scared for my appt on Friday. im taking oral sedation, and getting two deep filling on my back molars. :( I hope It works for me, ill be a mess if It doesn't.

hope you can rebuild your confidence , it is a hard road, keep trying though.

The first time the oral sedation worked so well. That's why I was so disappointed it didn't work the 2nd time. HOWEVER, this time, I did not take my usual medications in the morning thinking it would make the sedation work better. Then I found out that if you're super anxious like I am, your adrenaline starts pumping and your heart beats faster. Adrenaline counteracts the effects of sedation. Then I read that beta blockers will slow down your heart rate and counteract against the adrenaline. Wouldn't you know that I take beta blockers for my blood pressure! So this coming Monday (my last sedation appt.) I am taking my meds like I should. I should also say that the sedation did work AFTER I left the dentist's office. My husband said I was doing some very strange things when I got home. Thankfully, he doesn't hold it against me.

I am sure your appt. will go fine. I think taking the pills is better than the liquid, but liquid is all my dentist uses. Other people have told me their experience with oral sedation was so good. I also keep repeating to myself, "The sedation will work". "I will feel no pain". "I will not get sick". I repeated it over and over for my first appt., then got cocky for my 2nd appt. and look how that turned out, so now I'm back to repeating it. Good luck on Friday! Let me know how it went. My first appointment I had 2 very deep fillings and didn't feel a thing!

Some beta-blockers are also used for anti-anxiety meds. So, if you've been told it's ok to take them with the oral sedation, it will only help the sedation to work better (not the opposite).

Yes, I was given the go ahead to take my meds. I try to take them 2-3 hours before my appt. I also take a sublingual Zofran to help with the nausea Versed can cause.

Glad to hear that you figured out what to do with the meds next time around and I hope that the process is a lot less painful. I always appreciate when a dentist fully numbs me and doesn't mind waiting awhile longer before starting the process.

Back