• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Seeking advice on abscess

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curs0r
  • Start date Start date
C

Curs0r

Junior member
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
2
I have a broken tooth on the upper right side, close to the middle. It's been abscessed for about 3 weeks. I procured some antibiotics (All I could get was a 5 day run of Azithromycin 250mg) But I wonder, should I lance the abscesses and drain them (2 in close proximity)?
 
In my opinion, Definately not. go back to your dentist and get more antibiotics. maybe you need a different one to clear the infection up? Doing diy on your teeth/gums could cause more probs eg............ the infection could spread etc. Please leave it alone and go back and get it checked out by a professional.
 
My phobia of dentists is pretty major. My wisdom teeth came in sideways about 11 years ago and pretty much broke every tooth in my mouth. It's been a hellish parade of crumbling teeth, infections, and pain. I still haven't gone to a dentist. I appreciate the presence of this forum, so that I can at least ask these questions.
 
Ah ok, im with you now re getting antibiotics. You didnt get a script right? I have to just say that different antibiotics are used to treat different infections, so you reallyyyyyyyyyyyy do need to make an appointment with a dentist or gp to get one that is going to work. No point in taking an antibiotic that clears urine infections for example.

My dental phobia is pretty severe too, so i understand. But, if you can get an appointment with a dentist, chances are, that they will initially prescribe the CORRECT antibiotics anyway to clear the infection before any treatment. Then you can take it from there.......... ie............. asking about oral sedation, iv sedation etc.?
 
Curs0r,

sorry if i have came across as abrupt in my answers to you. I honestly dont mean to be. I'm probably one of the biggest phobics on this forum. So i do know how you feel.
Maybe Zzzzzzzz dentist will reply to you soon.
 
If you are desperate, you certainly can try to lance the abscess with a clean needle or something. Do you have access to a sterile syringe? I would recommend applying one of those numbing gels from the pharmacy for a few minutes beforehand. It's hard to say how much pus you would be able to drain out, but it might help a little to assist the infection find a path of exit. If you can see the raised bump, and it looks slightly straw colored from the pus underneath, you should be able to create some drainage if you target the peak.

The "main" dentist here would probably shoo shoo this idea, but I'm a bit more wild and willy in that respect. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do just like Tom Hanks in that movie "Castaway." Just use caution of course, and realize that what you do might not really help that much as the infection is coming from within the bone around the tip of the root so although a little bit of drainage may help in some circumstances, it might not do that much. I would doubt though that you could do that much harm by trying to pop a gum zit if you're careful about it.

That being said, I do have to end by saying that a qualified dental practitioner would probably be able to help you out more in terms of a longer term solution than doing some home dental therapy that may result in only temporary relief if any! :(
 
Last edited:
Back
Top