• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Seen emergency dentist to sort out an infection in empty socket, pain returned 24hrs later.

M

Michael14

Seen emergency dentist to sort out an infection in empty socket, pain returned 24hrs later.

I have a low pain tolerance so keep that in mind, I might just be experiencing pains that I should be.

I had most of my back teeth out, and the left side became very swollen and pressured with pain. I went to an emergency dentist on Sunday who identified it as an infection. I have had some kind of medicated paste packed into the infected areas after the sockets were washed, and the pain was almost instantly gone. I am on a course of amoxicillin but the pain has begun to return 24hrs later despite my 4hr paracetamol-ibuprofen pain relief system. I just recently had a dose but 2 hrs on the pain is still there along with a throbbing sensation occurring when I stand. Should I be going back to a dentist for another clean and repack or is the amoxicillin just doing its thing? TIA. :(

Re: Seen emergency dentist to sort out an infection in empty socket, pain returned 24hrs later.

It sounds like they treated the empty socket like you had dry socket. Usually they pack it a couple times with the medicated medicine.I had mine packed every day for at least three days. Eventually dry socket heals. The antibiotics should be working. But you could go see the dentist again to be sure.

Back