• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sensitivity question

K

Katie7730

I had a filling in my top second molar done 3 weeks ago. It didn’t hurt before but dentist said it showed decay on xray so had an amalgam filling placed. Since then it’s been very sensitive to hot and cold.
I went back into the dentist yesterday and she looked at it and said it’s unremarkable, checked the bite (no issues), so said give it more time to settle down. She then put a fluoride coating on the tooth and said this might help. I didn’t eat/drink for around 3 hours but then when I did I felt nothing from the tooth.
Since this varnish has worn off the sensitivity is now back again. So now I am wondering why didn’t I feel the sensitivity with the varnish on? It covered the tooth so does this stop the amalgam from conducting the hot /cold? Does it mean I have a hole in the filling that the varnish sealed up temporarily and so helped the sensitivity?
What is the best thing to do going forward?
Really really really do not want to be going down the root canal path.
I am wondering if there might be something wrong with the filling?

Give it over the weekend and if it's still not improving go back to the dentist. Don't see any reason why a root canal is needed.

Give it over the weekend and if it's still not improving go back to the dentist. Don't see any reason why a root canal is needed.
They said wait another month before coming back. So to give it extra time to settle. But is it weird that it felt better with the fluoride covering the filling?

Nope. It would suggest some micro leakage which the varnish has fixed. Sometimes the amalgam expands ever so slightly (due to the slow chemical reaction that goes on as it sets), which will fix the micro leakage too.

I think a month is a bit long to leave it, unless it's improving but your post suggested that it isn't?

Nope. It would suggest some micro leakage which the varnish has fixed. Sometimes the amalgam expands ever so slightly (due to the slow chemical reaction that goes on as it sets), which will fix the micro leakage too.

I think a month is a bit long to leave it, unless it's improving but your post suggested that it isn't?
It’s been 3.5 weeks now and it’s not improved. And yes they said another month to wait from now, so basically would be 2 months in total. This is nhs dentist. I usually go private but I can’t afford it at the moment. It seems harder to get appointments at this one. I don’t know much but it seemed to me when this coating was on I couldn’t feel any sensitivity at all, indicates there might be something getting through the filling, if that is micro leakage like you say. Do you think the filling would need to be replaced or is it possible to add some more amalgam on the top type thing? Thank you

Last edited:
Really doesn't matter if it's NHS or private, a filling's a filling :)
You can't add more amalgam. It is possible to seal the tooth off with some runny composite bonding material. Sometimes polishing the amalgam can fix it, which I'd probably try first if it was me.

Really doesn't matter if it's NHS or private, a filling's a filling :)
You can't add more amalgam. It is possible to seal the tooth off with some runny composite bonding material. Sometimes polishing the amalgam can fix it, which I'd probably try first if it was me.
Thanks Gordon for your help. I will give them a ring next week and just explain. Haha yes I know a filling , it is just very hard to get an appointment or even get through on the phone to this practice which when ringing the dentist makes you stressed, doesn’t help the anxiety. And sometimes I feel like a pain keep ringing up ??

No worries. Let me know how you get on.

Hi Gordon
An update on the situation.
I’ve just been in on an emergency appt. I saw someone different as the 1st dentist has gone on annual leave. He initially said sounds like it needs refilling, took an X-ray, said there’s no problem with the filling, he didn’t see any gap in the X-ray I guess. But then he said but it’s close to the nerve. Said 99% he thinks I need a root canal.
I asked him why when she put fluoride over the tooth before I didn’t feel anything. He said he didn’t know. I asked if there’s anything else he can put over it like you suggested, he said no. I have booked in for when she comes back on 25th October for another review with 1st dentist.
Would you see micro leakage on the X-ray if that’s what the issue is?

Last edited:
No, you wouldn't see it, hence the "micro" bit in the name :)

Have you tried liberally slavering desensitising toothpaste all over it? Do it with a finger last thing before turning in for the night so it sits undisturbed for a bit. Do that for 2-3 nights in a row and see what happens.

Yes I’m trying that. It even stings when I put the toothpaste on.
that’s what I thought about micro! But I’m aware of coming across like I know things when I’m not a dentist, don’t want to P them off trying to be smart. He didn’t want to entertain there was an issue with the filling at all. So i guess I’ll wait until 25th when 1st dentist comes back to see what she says.

If the issue is micro leakage, am I wrong in thinking it’ll be sensitive until I somehow get it sealed up?

Yep :)
Let's learn some more dentistry in the meantime :)
Either you get it sealed up on the outside or else it'll sort itself because the pulp (nerve) lays down a layer of secondary dentine and seals itself up from the inside. Nothing wrong with being an informed patient :)

Thanks Gordon. That’s interesting stuff. Will update you on what happens, hopefully one of the two (and soon)

Back