• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severe dental fear, root canal treatment and pregnancy!

A

amypearce

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I have recently been experiencing severe pain in an upper pre-molar, and after a very stressful visit to my dentist it appears that I may need root canal treatment or extraction.

I want to avoid extraction as the tooth is close to the front and will leave a visible gap.

I have to be sedated when I have any treatment, which would usually be fine (if not expensive!) but I have just discovered that I am pregnant.

So my question is - does anyone know if there are any forms of sedation that I can be given when I am pregnant? I just cannot face treatment without being sedated, and I dont relish the idea of waiting 8 or 9 months before I can get treatment. I'm guessing that the local anaesthetic part of the treatment is fine?

Any ideas?

I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Amy x

Hello the answer is no. Sedation is not an option for you during pregnancy. If you are worried then you could ask the dentist to remove part of the pulp (nerve) and this will offer some pain relief. However, once the baby is born, you must go and get the root canal completed immediately.

Back