• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severe fear of the numbness

S

Suzie G

Hi... this is my first post ... I have to have 4 roots and a broken tooth extracted, I am absolutely terrified of the numb feeling, even with IV I'll still have the feeling for hours afterwards and that is what I cannot deal with. I am at my wits end

Hi,

Please take a look here:

There is plenty of useful and interesting information there.

Find a dentist who uses Oraverse, although with extractions I think you are better off numb for bit until you can take a pain reliever and have it kick in proper.

As it says on that link you could ask your dentist to order in OraVerse to reverse the effects at the end of the appointment or numb a very limited area in the first place if technically possible. I can't personally empathize as I am one of those people who will opt for numbness even if not strictly necessary as I find it easier to relax knowing I am numb. I also don't mind the lingering feeling afterwards as it stops the after pain (if any) from kicking in for ages- this can actually be a benefit after wisdom tooth surgery. Best wishes.

You know something, thats one of my biggest fears...I hate it!
I couldn't hack being knocked out...control thing i keep telling myself...whatever, but thats the one thing I can't stand - last time I had to be numbed, I started to wonder if the pain would be easier!
They stopped using adrenaline anaesthesia...I'm not sure how that works/understand it/or placebo type effect????
I have to say every time now, not to use adrenaline, as I go spasmodic...can't tolerate it.
Is there a difference?
However, at least with the numbness, I haven't felt one jolt of pain - during or after!
Digging out under gumline too...so don't fear the pain at least!!! :)
For me the numbness did wear off after 3 hours.
It was fine after it had worn off. just during, not nice is it?

Hey
There is another point of interest that I do not know of any professional research that deals with it directly, but I am sure it is out there: The local anaesthesia gives a "bad mood" feeling for a couple of hours. I do not mean the feeling of numbness itself, but a dysphoric general feeling. I heard from a couple of patients and experienced it myself (once in a while a dentist is also being treated ;)).

My hypothesis is that it has something to do with the adrenaline. It is known that the adrenaline (I should say though epinephrine, but it is the same) which is administrated with the local anaesthesia causes secretion of adrenaline from the body (adrenal gland) and that can cause a "bad mood".

When not using epinephrine/adrenaline this internal secretion is extremely limited.
That's my hypothesis, but in the end, if it works it works :) - that means, if non-adrenaline works better for you, ask for that from your dentist.

Thankyou all for your input :) .... I have talked to my dentist and she has asked if I can have these roots removed in hospital under GA ... the surgeon has said yes .. she also said that I didn't want to be numbed whilst under .. the anesthetist ( prob spelt that wrong ) has said he doesn't want to take them out without them being numbed, my dentist is rather suprised at this seeing as I will be under anyway ... she is waiting for an answer ......

Thankyou all for your input :) .... I have talked to my dentist and she has asked if I can have these roots removed in hospital under GA ... the surgeon has said yes .. she also said that I didn't want to be numbed whilst under .. the anesthetist ( prob spelt that wrong ) has said he doesn't want to take them out without them being numbed, my dentist is rather suprised at this seeing as I will be under anyway ... she is waiting for an answer ......

Anaesthetists often feel they've failed in their duty if the patient wakes up in pain - that's probably what's going on here :)

John

The reason is that the local anesthetic is important also for the post operative pain.

The reason is that the local anesthetic is important also for the post operative pain.

I don't like pain ( who does ) .. but I know I couldn't cope with being numbed either ..the thought of being numbed up when I wake ( hopefully ) just fills me with dread .. I imagine I will be groggy ( I've never had GA before ) but I know I just couldn't cope with feeling the numbness ..

Perhaps you could ask if, as you begin to wake, they use steroids to help the local wear off faster? I'm not sure how viable that is, but it was an option given to me after 6 hours, perhaps sooner could be arranged for you?

It'd mean some numbness for a while but as you will be very, very groggy, the chances of being aware you were numb would be slim. I didn't realise I was numb until over an hour after I'd woken up from surgery.

Look, it depends on which tooth we are dealing with, what kind of treatment and what the overall situation. In any case, there is a solution for evey problem. What you can do is to consult the treating dentist and try together to find the solution.

What is exaclty difficult for you with the numb sensation?

I don't like pain ( who does ) .. but I know I couldn't cope with being numbed either ..the thought of being numbed up when I wake ( hopefully ) just fills me with dread .. I imagine I will be groggy ( I've never had GA before ) but I know I just couldn't cope with feeling the numbness ..

When was the last time you were numb? Just wondering if you have got the sensation out of all proportion. If you are having GA you will be groggy for a while anyway so you probably wouldn't notice either way.
Try looking at it as a positive thing that spares you pain. It is the best form of post-operative pain relief.

I have a multi nodular thyroid goiter which has been causing me difficullty with swallowing ( I may have to have my thyoid taking out ) ... I have never liked the dentist but the anxiety has got worse since the swallowing episodes I have had since having my goiter. So I suppose it's the feeling of no control over swallowing when numb. I am under the community dentist due to the anxiety with swallowing

I have a multi nodular thyroid goiter which has been causing me difficullty with swallowing ( I may have to have my thyoid taking out ) ... I have never liked the dentist but the anxiety has got worse since the swallowing episodes I have had since having my goiter. So I suppose it's the feeling of no control over swallowing when numb. I am under the community dentist due to the anxiety with swallowing

Can you tell us which tooth needs to be treated? If you do not know what tooth number it is, is it lower/upper, front/back tooth is also OK :)

The teeth needing extracting are one lower towards the back, one upper left, one lower right and one upper right, all except the lower right are below the gumline. I have been talking today with the hospital and they have agreed to take them out under GA without local numbing:jump: and whilst I am very nervous about GA I am so relieved I wont have to be numbed :)

Hey :) ... I had my teeth out with GA.. I didn't have the gums numbed and I had no pain where they took the teeth out after the op.. :jump:. I did have a large sore on the roof of my mouth due to them having trouble getting the breathing tube down ( they think this was due to my thyroid goitre) .. the sore took about a month to heal. Last week I had an impression for my partial upper denture, I was terrified of having the impression so my dentist gave me an impression tray to use to get used to the sensation. I do have receding gums but the dentist doesn't seem bothered by them. I am so relieved that I got referred to a community dentist after years of sleepless nights with toothache :)

If you don't like feeling numb but can tolerate injections okay then have then dentist just infiltrate the immediate tissue around the roots and inject with ligament of the roots to be extracted. While this technique is somewhat more difficult to administer for the dentist it is highly effective and you won't feel that numb and lasts just a short period.

Back