M
MissNervous
Junior member
- Joined
- Aug 28, 2014
- Messages
- 4
I've always been scared of the dentist. I had a tooth extracted a few years back when I had an infection. No swelling etc just a bit of pain and throbbing but it needed to come out. Every dentist I saw refused to pull it because of the infection. I found a dentist who did take it out and all was okay. Today was a new dentist and my 1st check up with him. He said about fillings and one extraction. I said can't you just take it out now quickly as I won't have the courage again! He was like ok fine, quickly lie back down, I'll numb you then wait in the waiting room. So 10 minutes later calls me in. I asked if I had an infection and he said yes. He said I don't know how long this will take as it's a molar and you're pregnant so I can't x-ray you. Fine, ok. I could feel it. Like he was punching me in the jaw! I was saying ouch, that hurts, ouch, I can feel it for ages before he gave me another shot. He didn't wait for it to work, he carried on! Anyway, I felt it all and came out traumatised. Right now, my anxiety has kicked in telling me he shouldn't have taken it out with an infection and when I queried anti-biotics, amoxicillin, he said no, you don't need those...I was like wtf. I'm having an operation in hospital tomorrow and I get anti-biotics anyway just in case there's an infection afterwards, just a preventive measure but seriously, this dentist? I'm so scared right now. I keep reading, even from dentists, that they should NEVER take an infected or abscessed tooth out in case the infection spreads to other organs and/or parts of the body
I can feel my head hurting a bit too and like I can't swallow (That's probably anxiety and a mix of the anaesthetic wearing off slowly) but it's making me worse! I'm pregnant too which makes my anxiety worse, argh!
Please help! I'm desperate here.

I can feel my head hurting a bit too and like I can't swallow (That's probably anxiety and a mix of the anaesthetic wearing off slowly) but it's making me worse! I'm pregnant too which makes my anxiety worse, argh!Please help! I'm desperate here.
).
I've not got a great deal of pain although the tooth behind it hurts more than the extraction site! I'm seriously not happy. I had to make an appointment for fillings, however I couldn't talk and was so distressed that I said I'd just call to make the appointment afterwards rather than going up to the reception there and then. Do you think, from your professional point of view, that I can do anything about this dentist? I mean yes I asked to have it removed there and then, as I have other dentists when I've been in pain, but they've said no so it's his fault really! I wasn't anxious as such, it was more that the tooth was broken and was causing a little irritation and, as I was there, I thought why not ask as I wasn't sure I'd have the courage to have it done or to even go to a dentist again for an extraction. I need fillings but that's not an issue, it's extraction that scare me as ironically enough, I always worry in case I'm not numb enough and I feel it, which in this case, I most certainly did! Is there any chance this infection can spread and cause blood poisoning? I'm st the hospital tomorrow for an operation and will be having anti-biotics anyway afterwards. It's just now, tonight, that I'm worried about. I'm scared to sleep in case my throat swells with infection or something (However trivial and silly that may seem to some)