• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severely nervous - extraction and denture

• Thread starter inneedofsupport
  • Start date
I

inneedofsupport

I'm due to get an almost completely gone front tooth and back molar extracted tomorrow and I'm really scared. I've been calm all week but its the night before and my imagination is going into overdrive.

I only have 11 teeth (9 if I an see it through tomorrow).

I was fitted for dentures at a previous dentist but never wore them as they were too big and clumpy. My new dentist has only made me front ones, so it's smaller. I also had three appointments for my new dentures as opposed to one with the old.

What I am really, really scared about is the extractions. The old dentist did IV sedation. This one doesn't, so I'll be awake. I'm thinking of taking a couple of kalms tablets before hand but wondered if anyone could tell me what an extraction feels like as I don't remember the others I had.

I'm thinking of takin my mp3 player in and having it on full blast so I have something to concentrate on.

I'm really scared right now.

I can fully relate to your nerves as I experienced my first extraction back in June and it went well with the help of 10mg of Diazepam from my GP. I bounced out the surgery proudly holding my extracted tooth!

I am presuming you are in the UK? If you are then you have the option of seeing your GP explain your fears and ask for some Diazepam to be prescribed, usually they would give you some to take the night before and the morning / before the appointment.

I had to have a second pre-molar out this week but I was unprepared for it and panicked at the dentist, ended up with a broken tooth. However I managed to see my GP this morning get some Diazepam and successfully had the tooth out my lunch time - although I had to pay private for it, it was a case of it needed to be done now because it was annoying me and I am going away on holiday on Friday.

I can whole heartedly recommend the oral sedation if your dentist does not offer IV Sedation, I thought I was going to be needing that after my little drama on Monday.

I have another tooth atthe back which is fractured but at the moment is safe from needing work, the filling in there is stopping any infection, but eventually I will push myself to have the root canal but will opt for IV Sedation for that.

If you do not feel ready about having the treatment tomorrow, go to the appointment speak to the dentist and re-book, only do this when you feel ready!

Good Luck

Well I've been crying this morning so I don't think I'm going to pull myself together for today somehow. I'm going to ring the doctor and get the diazipam, but what does it do? Will it just sort of numb my senses to whats going on?

I was so excited to be getting my dentures until last night and now I'm a complete and utter gibbering wreck.

My appointment is at 11.45

I feel alright again now, so didn't call the doctor. I'm visiting friends in 12 days and would like to be half talking by then with my new dentures, plus the fact I can't talk anyway at the minute as one front tooth is mostly missing, the other one's filling fell out too.

I think I'm just going to do this. I really want to be about to smile and talk properly again (I'm lisping my S's and V's at the moment anyway and no-one has said they've noticed. So back to plan A - mp3 on full blast. I can shut myself off when they're doing fillings and just need to do the same with the extractions.

Plus, my appointment is only for 30 minutes - and I will be timing her.

Thank you. Been crying again seeing as the husband rang to see how I was. He's a no filling/have a tooth extraction sort of person and says there's nothing to it. A couple of minutes and a pinchy feeling.

I'm going to go to the appointment, my dentist is lovely. If I get there and don't feel like I can do it I'm going to book an appointment with the doctor for the diazipan (they're in the same building). I'd rather not take it mind you as I've two young children and don't want my head to be fuzzy or anything.
I just keep telling myself half an hour and it's over. Loading up all the loudest possible music onto my mp3 player at the moment. It's going on full blast.

Focus on your trip with your friends as the end result maybe...?

I DID IT!

She fixed the filling that fell out. I put my music on and before I was even half way through the first track she was done and had my dentures in? I am well impressed.

I could feel pressure, but made my feet tap in time to the music and it was over before I realised.

Just need to figure out how to talk again now :)
(and practice smiling)

Thank you Brit, I feel on top of the world. I even showed my husband my teeth and can talk ok for most of the time (there are some words that come out as a tad weird). I'm not sure about how I'm going to eat yet mind you, had soup yesterday.

Not sure how I'm going to manage taking them out either, they're really secure in my mouth and I haven't got glue on them.

Need to practice looking at people when I talk and stop putting my hand up to cover my mouth. I am so so happy. Going to go and get a nice thank you card for my dentist today.

Back