• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I go for the root canal or continue searching the source of the pain?

G

geos

Should I go for the root canal or continue searching the source of the pain?

Tuesday of last week, I started having pain in some of my lower right teeth, mainly around my pre-molars. Went to see my dentist yesterday and he doesn't see any problems and I have no cold, hot, pressure sensitivity. The dentist said one tooth is perfectly healthy (no restoration on it) and my other pre-molar does have some filling on it. He asked me to wait a week, and if I still had pain, he could do a root canal. I had similar pain in the past where the dentist suggested a root canal, but the pain would either just go to a new spot, or simply stay around the same area and the dentist isn't sure a root canal on my current painful tooth will fix my issue.

I'm quite fearful so I take sedation for dental treatment (I'm fine for the cleaning and for the dentist exams) and being in this situation where I don't know why I'm in pain makes me nervous/anxious. I've been going from one dental problem (with some moments where I felt better in between) to another since I started working / graduated from university back in (end of) summer 2009 and I just hope I can stop having these pain my dentist can't explain.

I'm not sure if I want to go for a root canal to see if it will stop the pain or just wait to see if eventually we can't find a clear source of my pain. The other thing is that I don't want to end up with pain during the Christmas holidays. Would anyone have some recommendations?

Re: Should I go for the root canal or continue searching the source of the pain?

Ultimately, the decision is yours. Having said that, I'm not a dentist but if it were me I would probably wait and see. You mentioned that sometimes the pain moves or goes away. Have you had an xray? Also wondering if you have tried warm salt water rinses to see if it helps. Like you said there is always a chance that the root canal may not help. I hope your pain goes away soon.

Re: Should I go for the root canal or continue searching the source of the pain?

Yes, I had x-rays that turned out fine.
I just started trying out the warm salt water and it helps a little. Will have to do more to confirm.

Hello-
I'm sorry you are having problems! I am not a dentist, so I don't know everything that could be causing your tooth pain, but I have similar issues that are caused by TMJ and clenching my jaw. I very often have painful teeth and I go to the dentist and he xrays and there is nothing wrong. I do usually have a sore jaw joint, though and I clench at night and my dentist tells me that is the source of my problems. Do you clench or grind your teeth at night? If so, a night guard may help.

Good luck,
Tess

Yes, I had x-rays that turned out fine.
I just started trying out the warm salt water and it helps a little. Will have to do more to confirm.

Back