• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Should I show the letter to my dentist?

S

snapper

I saw a counselor about 6 years ago and was told I have dental phobia, even though I don't express it in the conventional way.. The counselor wrote a letter that I could give to a dentist if I felt it would help, trouble is, I have never had the courage to show a dentist, feeling that I would be labelled and generally shun.

My anxiety has grown recently and i'm thinking about showing my present dentist. It may help him understand my behavior as I feel he is struggling to know how to deal with me.

What should I do?
How would dentists on here react if a patient showed you a letter from a counselor? Is it something that would freak you out?

i think it's a good idea! also sometimes it's easier than having to speak about it.

show it in advance to make sure the dentist is comfortable with you.

Your right on the button zombiegroupie I have no idea where to start to explain the problem, feeling sure it will all come across badly, this may be why the counselor gave me the letter, she new i would have problems explaining.

comfortdentist, I suppose not all dentists would be entirely comfortable but I couldn't keep handing this in to dentists to check if they are OK dealing with me. It's all a bit humiliating and stigmatizing and reminds me why it stays in the draw.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with anyone showing me the letter. If any prospective dentist doesn't feel able to help you then, as a professional, they should be open and honest enough to tell you so.
If they don't react well to the letter then that says more about them than you!

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with anyone showing me the letter. If any prospective dentist doesn't feel able to help you then, as a professional, they should be open and honest enough to tell you so.
If they don't react well to the letter then that says more about them than you!

Thanks Rob that makes me feel a lot better about this letter thing. I believe my present dentist will be receptive to it. Just not sure what he will do with the info. I hope it stays with him. I wouldn't want it to be shared with any one else.

I have an appointment soon i'll take it a long and see how things go on the day.

everything that passes between yourself and the dentist should remain confidential though he will need to record it in his notes. The nurse is also bound by the same professional confidentiality rules (in the uk at least) and I would expect that support staff such as receptionist will have confidentiality clauses in their contracts.
If in doubt tell the dentist that this is a sensitive issue for you and ask that he restrict access as much as is possible.

Back