• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So much to do, so much money

O

overalltea

Hi all, first post here :)

I wasn't sure where else to turn but like many people here I am terrified of going to the dentist, to the point where I haven't been for almost six years. Really wish I wasn't afraid as I have never had good teeth. As a kid I remember every appointment being traumatic...constant fillings and extractions, one which resulted in an infection which was truly a miserable experience.

Out of desperation I went in 2014 as I was having a lot of pain from a chipped tooth, while the dentist was very nice she told me that I would need many fillings and I remember her poking around my teeth filling me with such panic I thought I was going to vomit. I was supposed to go back for these fillings, but scared myself into cancelling. Sadly I've let the issues I was already having get so much worse - I have at least three broken teeth with one cutting into the side of my cheek constantly. Also quite sure I have a wisdom tooth coming in. Safe to say I'll need so much more than a filling now.

What's weighing on my mind is that I'll put myself through the ordeal of getting myself there, then not be able to afford all the procedures I'll most likely need and will have gone through so much anxiety for nothing. I know it's my own fault as I should have just gone for the fillings, really wish I could justify how irrational this fear makes me but I can't.

Just wondering if anyone had been in the same boat in terms of letting their teeth get so bad and then find them in the situation of facing expensive dental treatment? And if there is a dentist out there reading this, is there any kind of assistance in place for people in my position? Thank you.

The NHS? Fees are capped at a few hundred pounds for a single course of treatment.

Hi there :welcome: ,

I moved this to the Support section because it wasn't really a question about dental procedures as such...

As Gordon has said, NHS fees are capped, so that's always an option (if you have a true phobia, treatment may also be available via the community dental service). Of course, you'll have more options when paying privately, no doubt about that.

Usually, when it comes to dental treatment, there are always options. It's best to be upfront about this with your dentist, so they can come up with a plan that accommodates your financial situation. Also, it is often possible to stop existing problems from getting worse just by following some tips which are tailored to you, so this may save you money in the long run.

Were you thinking of going back to the dentist that you saw 6 years ago, or did you have anyone else in mind?

Overalltea,

:welcome: Wanted to welcome you to DFC and glad you are here. You are in the right place. Alot of us have had pretty or really bad traumatic dental experiences as a child/teen causing us to avoid dental as an adult.

I did myself pretty much (except for dire emergencies, which a had a few) until the age of 30. I can tell you I walked in petrified with my hand over my mouth and met this very sweet young gal that was right out of school just started her small clinic. She was so kind and step by step earned my trust to do some work. I was on medical assistance and couldn't afford anything so had to do the minimum that the assistance dictated. but.... that step with a kind dentist changed my life , and my self esteem .

I encourage you to take step by step.. and do what you feel comfortable with. I would encourage you to just go talk to a dentist, either via email, phone or in person first. That may give you the assurement you need to feel comfortable to take the next step.

You are here, talking about it, thinking about it and taking the brave step of writing so believe you have what it takes to take the next step in reaching out as well. Its not easy, but the right dental team can make all the difference.

Wishing you the best.:grouphug:

Back