• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore tongue very scared

O

Oweerak1200

So I went to dentist about two months ago for a dental exam and deep cleaning and to have cavity filled all good there. About two weeks ago I started having a sore tongue but no visible sores or anything just kind of burns and it moves around. Sometimes end of tongue or side or roof of mouth and am wondering if it’s from new toothpaste that I just stopped using or something serious. I now examine my tongue 20 x a day. Does not hurt to eat or drink and I have high anxiety about oral mouth. I tooth two pictures but I don’t if it looks normal or not or if there is much change but it does feel scalded at end of tongue. I am scared as what it can be as I am a bit of a hypochondriac . I do have a mouth cleaning next minth(3 months after last deep cleaning)

Attachments

• 1B50AD85-3A92-4192-BC89-0DC9EE8EA844.jpg
    1B50AD85-3A92-4192-BC89-0DC9EE8EA844.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 652A8B63-C651-4CB7-8A66-DEA7A41A4E9C.jpg
    652A8B63-C651-4CB7-8A66-DEA7A41A4E9C.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 30
Arrgh. Burning tongue is a horrible thing to have and nearly as bad to treat :)

There's loads of things can be causing it and I'm afraid it usually takes a fair bit of trial and error to get it fixed.

I can categorically reassure you that it's not cancer, or anything nasty like that.

Start with increasing the amount of folic acid and Vit B12 in your diet, some more fresh vegetables, especially broccoli, cauliflower etc, Kellogg's Special K cereal is especially rich in folic for some reason, so if you can get that try having that for a while.

Avoid toothpastes with lots of SLS, sodium lauryl sulphate, Colgate pastes have a fair bit if I remember rightly, so dump them if you've started using them. Don't use any mouthwash that you've bought yourself, prescription ones only.

Last thing, it's very strongly related to stress, so try not to get too worked up about it. I know it's easy to say but it's unfortunately true. If you find stuff like massage relaxing, go get some.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Thank you so much! Not swollen taste buds ? I will try to increase those things you suggested thank you so butning mouth syndrome? Thanks again

No, not swollen taste buds. Like I said, my sympathies, it's not a pleasant thing to have and it's not usually quick to treat. It's not difficult to fix, but finding the root cause of it can take a while.

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I wanted a dentists opinion. I've been pressing my tongue to my teeth, rubbing my tongue on a chipped tooth and the inside of my cheeks as well as my tongue have a sore line across from being pushed to my teeth. Painful and annoying, sometimes it's not as bad, but it's always there. Once every couple months it'll b very bad, I make myself crazy, all I can think about is my tongue, it feels too big, and sore and can affect the way I speak. Sometimes i wake up and it hurts , so I do it in my sleep, I clench my jaw occasionally when this is going on. I don't remember doing this before the last few yrs, I've got a few things going on that might b adding to it, I've googled tongue thrust and I don't think I'm doing that, my teeth r not moving or hurting, but I have big bone growths under my tongue, maybe have grown? Could that push my tongue up? It feels like I hold my tongue in a wierd place, i have a slight lisp. I'm always conscious of it, it drives me mad. I'm a bit compulsive with some things, especially my body. I am extremely iron deficient, I 've never told anyone, but as a teen I ate dirt because of that. I chipped my teeth badly, but i didnt notice the chips until a few years ago when I started pressing my tongue against my teeth, it really hurts, I always have the imprint of my teeth on my tongue where I have the chips is the worst. I am on methadone for opioid addiction, I don't take very good care of myself, I have alot of stress, and I'm depressed but I can work through it and function well at work, but I don't eat well, when I'm hungry I find I clench my jaw and push my tongue worse I think, or I notice it more then. I don't know why I can't take care of myself? My eating habits are terrible, my oral hygiene isn't great I only brush once a day, and I only shower once a week, I don't know why I can't , when I do eat or shower I feel so much better, but Instead I just go to sleep, unless I have to work, probably stress related. I can't afford the dentist and the last time I went was 7 yrs ago, I'm ashamed of the chips on my teeth from eating dirt and last time I went to the dentist the assistant made jokes about it, she kept saying I must have been opening beer bottles with my teeth to get such horrible chips. I cried all the way home, now I can't even think about the dentist without crying, I'm almost crying writing this! So I haven't been back, even though I have alot of cavaties. I was also wondering if u think the dentist could file down some of the chips? I don't know how long it'll take me to work up the nerve to go back. Is there anything u can think of that someone would chip their teeth on that I could say I did? I don't want to tell anyone how I did it.
any advice on how to stop would be greatly appreciated, I am constantly trying to hold my tongue different so it doesn't press against my teeth, but it's a losing battle. I would go to the dentist about it, but I'm so self conscious of the chips I can't bring myself to go. Thanks so much, sorry I wrote so much!!!

Unfortunately the only way you're going to get this sorted is to see a dentist, preferably a sympathetic one with a well trained assistant who doesn't have a crap sense of humour :(

The soreness of your tongue is from trauma by scraping off the broken teeth, stress is making you clench, which causes the bony swellings under your tongue.

It's all fixable but it'll take a bit of time, first thing is to get yourself a decent dentist. Try posting in the support area to discuss things with people who've been through this or are going through it just now.

Back