• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Still in pain a week after fillings

Y

Yomivee

Hello! It's been forever since I posted here and I was surprised I even remembered my login name. But here I am again.

I'll make this as short and concise as possible. I had another long period of no dentist visits, up until about January of this year (About a period of 7 more years). This visit was because tooth 19 had pretty much broken down on the side. This tooth was ultimately saved with a root canal and does not give me any trouble whatsoever. Cue this past Thursday the 31st of May, I go in to have four more fillings done on teeth 28-31. These go without much of a hitch whatsoever and things seem to be healing up two days later.

However, as this week starts, I notice that I am starting to develop pain underneath and around tooth 30 (The first molar). I go back in and they blow air on all those fillings to find out that 30 is still in a super sensitive state. (I nearly jumped out of the chair when they blew air on it). So, they file down the filling a bit to adjust my bite. My bite actually feels a lot better now and I seem to have no real trouble actually chewing over there on those teeth. That's the weird thing, I can put pressure all I want on the teeth but feel no pain. They also took updated x-rays of that area and could not see anything out of the ordinary.

However, I still have migrating gum pain, underneath and around the tooth. that seems to spread to adjacent teeth from time to time.

400-800 mg of Ibuprofen seems to help out the pain for about 6 hours at a time. But I am starting to fear for my stomach with how I am having to pop them like candy right now. The tooth is once again sensitive to cold and such. The other filled teeth are fine. But now I think I am starting to have referred pain up into the upper jaw now.

The gums themselves look fine. No redness. But there seems to be a very very small bump on the inside of my gum. It tastes slightly metallic there but it doesn't hurt there.

I will spare you the details but googling around has not done anything to calm my fears as to what might happen and now I am fearing I might have to live with this pain for a very long time. Just another reminder not to go around searching for these things if you have generalized anxiety issues.

Any suggestions as to what might have happened? I'm thinking about postponing any further treatment until I can get this sorted out.

I thought I would go ahead and give an update to the situation since today is nearly an entirely different story. And thankfully it's a story in a better direction.

I woke up this morning without any pain, and have been mostly pain free with only minor irritation since I woke up. Since then I've had lunch. Accidentally I tried to chew a bit on that side and about 20 minutes later my gums were complaining loudly about it. The tooth is still stupidly sensitive to cold as well. But, this pain mostly went away on its own without the aid of any pain pills and now I am back to a baseline that I can handle once more.

The dentist also is taking a wait and see approach with it so I don't end up needlessly taking antibiotics if I really don't need them.

I guess for now I will make sure that I try to chew on the other side of the mouth and give the other side with the sensitive molar time to rest. Since it was a very deep filling, I am guessing it might take time to heal up properly. I'm feeling a bit better now about things.

I guess the question I am left with is: Can a sensitive tooth cause irritated and painful gums? I've never really found a definitive answer on this one.

Thanks.

I thought I would give an update since it has been nearly two weeks since the fillings.

Monday morning I went in for a deep cleaning with the ultrasonic handpiece. This caused the usual wincing as some areas were worse than others but overall it was a pleasant experience.

Pain from the filled teeth have been off and on, and have been causing some minor referred 'jolts' as I would call it, over my front teeth top and bottom. One cusp on the first molar seem to cause a sharp pain if I bite into it hard enough, and there still seems to be some sensitivity if I run my tongue over said tooth. I still take Ibuprofen as needed and it still seems to help. So hopefully I can get through this at the other side without too much more discomfort.

For brevity's sake, the pain at its worst is probably a 5/10 and is mostly in the gums, not in the tooth itself.

Quick update.

It's been a month since the fillings. Still having pain that comes and goes from time to time. It usually isn't localized around a tooth persay. It's sometimes deep down in the gums, sometimes further up towards my jaw joint, and sometimes up in the maxillary area as well. The pain can be severe as well, or a dull ache, or a burning feeling as well, but seems to go away entirely on its own as well without the help of Ibuprofen. It even wakes me up randomly in the middle of the night sometimes.

Not really sure what kind of pain this is but I am going back to the dentist here in about a week to discuss it. I've heard of unexplained phantom pain before that can never be figured out. I certainly hope that doesn't happen to me.

Thanks for updating on your situation. Been following your feed. Please let me know the outcome of your dentist appt x

I realize I should probably give an update as it is almost 2 months later.

There's not much to report other than the pain eventually resolved a couple of weeks after my last post. It will still flare up on a very rare occurrence. However, even those are becoming more rare by the day. I actually haven't had a pain flareup in over 3 weeks now.

So I guess the point is, even with deep fillings, the pain will eventually subside.

I realize I should probably give an update as it is almost 2 months later.

There's not much to report other than the pain eventually resolved a couple of weeks after my last post. It will still flare up on a very rare occurrence. However, even those are becoming more rare by the day. I actually haven't had a pain flareup in over 3 weeks now.

So I guess the point is, even with deep fillings, the pain will eventually subside.

Thanks for posting- I'm actually about to meet an endodontist tomorrow because I am in pain after getting a filling a week and a half ago on my last molar and a little bit on the one next to it. At first I was just sensitive to hot/cold and then a few days later went back to my dentist to have my last molar polished down as there was a jagged edge cutting my tongue... that night, and ever since then I have been in pain, popping 800MG of ibuprofen around the clock. I went back to the dentist over the weekend, she couldn't understand why I was in pain because the x-ray did not show that the filling was hitting a nerve... Saw another dentist last night for a second look and he tried adjusting my bite. Still in pain...

Back