• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sudden Severe Fire-like Pain

E

eyeliner128

Please, anyone!

I was brushing my teeth (mix of baking soda and water) like I do every night and suddenly my top left mouth just exploded with pain. It is the gums above the teeth, I'd say it spans about four teeth. It feels like when grease pops your arm, or you drink a too-hot coffee. It is very intense. Not sensitive to touch, no visible problems. The teeth themselves don't hurt, it's the gums. Biting does not hurt.

It's like a chemical burn feeling. My only instinct is that it feels nerve related (I have nerve pain in other body parts, so I know what it's like). But it came on SO instantaneously.

I just want to know if there is any guess or piece of advice as to what this is?

(PS I will start calling dentists tomorrow but I usually have to wait awhile to get in).

Hi,

Did you manage to have a look (might be difficult though)? maybe you had a wound or an aphtae?

There is no visible cut/redness/bumps. When I woke up today the pain was 80% gone. So strange! Now I am reconsidering the baking soda.

The last few days the area is not red, but looks as if it is peeling (small patches of white/loose). Should I try to get in the dentist before January 11th? That is my appointment.

No. First stop using the baking soda and give it two weeks to heal.

Update: all of my symptoms have ended, so I conclude either a bad reaction to baking soda or canker sores.

I used sesame oil, coconut oil and salt water.

Back