• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swollen and aching gums ?

J

Jeremypsy

Hi guys.
Just had a toothache on my bottom right molar that was so painful that I was unable to sleep and got a medicated filling done along with some antibiotics .
My question to you all is that is it normal for my cheek to swell up and start to ache ? I don’t think my teeth is aching but my cheeks / gums are .
Pls help

Hi there, from the symptoms you have described it sounds like there may be an underlying infection (abscess). As antibiotics were prescribed the dentist has likely come to this conclusion also and may have put a dressing in the tooth to see how it responds. If there is indeed an infection then the tooth will require further management.

I would suggest letting the dental practice know the development in your symptoms i.e. swelling and further pain. They may want to get you back in straight away or they may wait for the antibiotics to take effect. Either way they are best to know what is going on.

Check your antibiotics advice sheet but it is likely that you can use your normal pain relief to help manage the pain in the mean time. Hope this helps.

The other thing that may have contributed to the swelling was the local anaesthetic solution if you noticed it immediately after your visit but it sounds like a follow up is required.

Of course, just to remind you that a proper diagnosis can only be made after actually assessing and investigating the tooth/ teeth and we can only advise based on your reporter symptoms. I hope things are moving in the right direction for you now and the pain is beginning to settle.

Hi sir . Thankyou for your reply .
However the swelling has went down and the pain is kinda decreasing a little
Is this a good sign ?
I read online that due to injection it could cause some swelling and pain as well . My dentist told me too that on the day when I got a filling. That I might still need to live on painkillers until the antibiotics kick in .
It’s the 5th day after the surgery . are the antibiotics not working ? I got given Amoxicillin in case you’re wondering

It’s good to hear that your symptoms are settling but for me, 5 days of swelling and pain after a filling still warrants further investigation. There’s a chance it may be effects of local anaesthetic etc but equally it may be the antibiotics getting things under control. If there is indeed an infection, antibiotics are only a temporary measure and further issues may arise in future if an underlying problem is not addressed. I’d let them know and take it from there.

Hi Niall . Thankyou again for ur speedy replies .
I have one last update .
I was playing with my tongue to feel a lump on the molar that just got a filling . Applied a little pressure and immediately I tasted something sour .
I think I just ruptured the gum or something . What should I do ?

Again, may potentially be related to an infection so would definitely get it checked out.

Back